Have you ever wondered if you can microwave Pop-Tarts? Ever since the mid-1960s, Pop-Tarts have been one of the most favorite popular pastry treats in America. It’s filled with a sweet and delectable filling along with a crunchy crust.
You can eat Pop-Tarts at any time of the day. Be it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Pop-Tarts can always satisfy both your cravings and hunger.
So, a lot of people have been wondering if it is possible to microwave them.
Don’t worry because this article will help you find out everything you need to know about microwaving your favorite Pop-Tarts.
Later on, you’ll be reading all the most commonly asked questions as well as some quick and easy steps and tips that you can follow when microwaving your childhood favorite treat.
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!
Can you microwave Pop-Tarts?
Yes! You can microwave your Pop-Tarts, although it is not the most recommended method of heating your favorite pastry treat.
The instructions placed in the packaging box of Pop-Tarts tell us that we should use a toaster if we want to heat it. But (as the scientists that we are) we love thinking out of the box and wondering if a microwave would work.
Pop-Tarts can be microwaved! But you need to be very careful when doing so. The filling might get too hot and become runny.
If you microwave Pop-Tarts and the filling starts melting, your Pop-Tarts might lose their crunchy texture and become soggy.
You will also lose the thick and gooey texture of the filling itself.
So, be extra careful when microwaving them. Read on further so that you’ll know how to properly do it later on.
Is it safe to microwave Pop-Tarts?
Yes! It is perfectly safe to microwave your favorite Pop-Tarts. They won’t burst or explode inside the microwave unlike other pastries with fillings. However, there are also some risks that you need to look out for.
Like what I said earlier, when you microwave your Pop-Tarts for too long, your filling might melt and let your crust be soggy.
Besides damaging the quality, your filling might be too hot. You may scald yourself if you’re not careful while eating it. So, make sure that you let it cool after microwaving your Pop-Tarts.
Other than that, it is completely safe to microwave your favorite pastry treat. Pop-Tarts are already pre-baked when they are sold. You can even eat it straight out of the box!
But if you do want to warm it up a little bit and you only have a microwave around, then you can use it. You’ll find out more about this as you continue reading.
Can you microwave Pop-Tarts with the wrapper?
No. You should NOT microwave your Pop-Tarts with the wrapper. The wrapper is made of foil and this is not microwave-safe.
Pop-Tarts are packed inside aluminum foil wrappers so that it keeps their freshness for a longer period.
Although certain types of aluminum foils may be microwavable, the wrapper of Pop-Tarts is not microwave-safe.
Besides not being microwave-safe, it also has loose edges and a rough, crumpled surface caused by packaging.
The loose edges and crumpled surface of the Pop-Tarts wrapper can cause it to easily spark and catch fire while you are heating them inside the microwave.
Additionally, there may also be other chemicals in the foil that may leach into your Pop-Tart. If leaching happens and you eat a contaminated Pop-Tart, your health may be at risk.
Just to be safe, always choose to transfer your Pop-Tarts into a microwave-safe container before microwaving them.
How long do you microwave Pop-Tarts?
You only need to microwave your Pop-Tarts for about 3 to 10 seconds. Of course, there are other factors affecting how long you should heat them in the microwave.
Your Pop-Tarts heat up pretty quickly and easily especially if you use a microwave when doing it.
You need to make sure that you check the flavor of your Pop-Tarts since it also determines how long you need to microwave them.
If your Pop-Tarts are unfrosted, you will need lesser time when microwaving them.
On the other hand, if your Pop-Tarts are frosted, then you may need 10 seconds to get them done.
Additionally, you also need to check the wattage of the microwave you will use.
If your microwave has a wattage of 800 or higher, 3 to 10 seconds will be enough. Of course, you’ll need to give your Pop-Tarts more time to heat if your microwave has a lower wattage.
Some of us want to melt our Pop-Tarts filling more than usual. You can choose to microwave your favorite pastry treat for up to 20 seconds if this is the case.
But you should remember that your fillings might be too hot once you microwave them for more than 10 seconds (it may be hot already even when heated for less than 10 seconds).
So, make sure that you just don’t dive onto your hot Pop-Tarts. Please don’t burn yourself.
How do you microwave Pop-Tarts?
Microwaving your favorite Pop-Tarts is very easy and quick to do (it just takes seconds!). Once you’re sure that you do want to microwave them, you may follow the steps that I have listed down below:
- Get your Pop-Tarts and take them out from their aluminum foil wrapper.
- Get a microwavable dish or container and put your Pop-Tarts in it. Make sure that your Pop-Tarts are properly spaced to evenly distribute heat. Place only at most 4 pieces of Pop-Tarts per plate.
- Put the dish with Pop-Tarts in the microwave.
- Set the microwave’s heat setting to high.
- Let your Pop-Tarts microwave for 3 seconds first.
- After 3 seconds, take your Pop-Tarts out and check if you still want to heat it more.
- If you want it warmer, put it back in the microwave and lower the heat setting to medium.
- Heat your Pop-Tarts for 5 more seconds.
- After 5 seconds, check your Pop-Tarts once again. You may slice it in half so that you can also check the temperature of the filling.
- Repeat steps 7 to 9 (except the slicing part) as you wish. Just make sure you don’t burn your Pop-Tarts or make it too hot.
- Remove them from the microwave once you’re satisfied.
- Set your Pop-Tarts aside for a while to let them cool. They might be too hot to be eaten directly.
- Once it has cooled down for a bit, transfer it to a serving dish (or just use the microwavable dish – your choice!) and enjoy your favorite pastry treat.
Tips when microwaving Pop-Tarts
It is very easy to heat your Pop-Tarts using your microwaves. But it is also very easy to ruin them if you’re not careful!
It’s better to have some friendly tips for you to keep in mind so that you can make sure that you enjoy your Pop-Tarts after you microwave them.
Here is a list of some of the things I do whenever I microwave my Pop-Tarts:
- Always remove the aluminum foil wrapper of your Pop-Tarts and use a microwave-safe container when heating them in the microwave.
- Do NOT overcrowd your plate with too many Pop-Tart pieces when microwaving them. Patience is the key here (just trust that they will all be heated in time – so, make sure they heat evenly).
- Always expect your Pop-Tarts to be soggy and not that crunchy since the fillings will most probably melt.
So, there you have it! You CAN microwave your Pop-Tarts, and it is much easier and faster (and riskier) to do.
Finally, you are aware of both the good and (somehow) bad sides of microwaving your favorite pastry treat. Everything is all in your hands (and microwaves) then!
Now, go and enjoy those warmed Pop-Tarts!