When Life Gives You Lemon, Clean Your Microwave
Do you want to clean your microwave but don’t have the budget to buy expensive cleaners? If your answer is yes, you should learn how to clean the microwave with lemon. Because when life gives you lemons, you wash your microwave with it.
One of the only appliances I own as a student is a microwave. I use it for everything from making tea to reheating burritos. And because of the frequent use, my microwave is always in need of a good clean.
My budget doesn’t allow me to buy fancy cleaners. So, I clean it every month and use only lemon and water.
If you want to know how to clean a microwave with lemon and water, keep reading!
Can you clean the microwave with lemon?
Yes, you can clean the microwave with lemon. As lemon is a citrus fruit, its juice is acidic. Hence, lemon juice helps clean the grease and stains and even removes the burnt smell from the microwave.
However, whenever you are cleaning the microwave with lemon, ensure to dilute it with water. Using plain lemon juice can damage your microwave. You can even add vinegar to your lemon water to get better results.
Be aware! Vinegar has a more pungent smell. And using high amounts of vinegar to clean the microwave can make your \appliance smelly. So, do not add more than 1 tablespoon of vinegar to one cup of lemon water.
How do you clean a microwave with lemon?
To clean microwave with lemon:
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon in the water.
- Now cut the squeezed lemon peels in halves and put them in the water.
- Microwave this water and lemon juice mixture for 3 minutes on high heat setting.
- After the microwave interval, do not open the microwave door. Let the bowl sit in the microwave.
- Once the steam has settled, remove the bowl from the microwave.
- Remove the turntable from the microwave as well. Wipe it with an old but clean towel.
- Lastly, wipe down the microwave from the inside with the same towel.
The process of cleaning a microwave with lemon might seem complex. But here’s a secret that can help you.
Do not open the microwave door right after microwaving the lemon water. Instead, let the steam settle down. This way, you will see better results.
Also, do not forget to add the lemon peels to the water. Even though you might squeeze all of the juice, sometimes there is still a little juice left. And adding the peels ensure that not even a drop of lemon juice goes to waste.
How to clean microwave stains with lemon?
One of the best ways to clean microwave stains is using lemon juice and vinegar. Follow these steps to clean the microwave with lemon and vinegar:
- Squeeze one lemon in a bowl.
- Add 15 ml or 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Get an old towel and wet its corner with the lemon and vinegar mixture.
- Rub it on the microwave stain till it comes off.
Sometimes, you can rub the stain for 1 minute, but it doesn’t budge. Sprinkle a half teaspoon of baking powder on the stain in situations like these.
After that, dip the corner of the towel with lemon juice and vinegar solution. And then rub the stain. The baking soda acts as a mild scrub and helps get out the stain without damaging the microwave.
Is it safe to clean the microwave with lemon?
Yes, as long as you follow proper instructions, it is safe to clean the microwave with lemon. The lemon juice contains citric acid, which works as a cleaning agent and removes stains and smells from the microwave.
However, dilute the juice with water when cleaning the microwave with lemon. Plain lemon juice is highly acidic, and it can easily damage the microwave.
Furthermore, only use a microwave-safe bowl to hold the water and lemon juice mixture. Using any other container can further damage your microwave and the container itself.
Finally, when removing the bowl from the microwave, use gloves. The bowl will be hot, and it can burn your hands.
How long does it take to clean a microwave with lemon?
The length of time it takes to clean the microwave with lemon depends on a few factors. For example, the length of time since the last clean, the number of stains, etc. But in general, if you clean your microwave monthly, it will take around 10 minutes to clean it.
When cleaning the microwave with lemon, you leave the lemon and water solution for only 3-5 minutes. However, as you are also supposed to wipe the inside of the microwave, the whole process takes 10 minutes.
Furthermore, if you manually clean each stain with lemon juice and vinegar solution, the time will vary. Roughly it takes around 30 seconds to 1 minute to clean one stain. So, you can do the maths according to the state of your microwave.
Tips to Clean Microwave with Lemon
Cleaning the microwave with lemon seems like an easy task. But there are a few things that you should remember when cleaning your microwave with lemon juice.
- Lemon juice is a natural cleaning agent, but it is still strong. So, always dilute the lemon juice with water. This will ensure that your microwave does not get damaged.
- If the last time you cleaned your microwave was months ago, then add one tablespoon of vinegar to the lemon water. The vinegar will better the results.
- Never add more than 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar to clean the microwave, or your microwave will be left with a pungent smell.
- Wear gloves when removing the bowl from the microwave to prevent any burns.
- When removing tough stains, sprinkle baking powder on the stain before cleaning it with lemon juice. The baking powder is a mild abrasive and quickens the stain removal process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is lemon good for cleaning the microwave?
Yes, lemon is good for cleaning the microwave. Lemon juice contains citric acid, and it works as a natural cleaning agent. It helps remove the microwave’s burnt smell, grease, and stains.
What is the easiest way to clean a microwave?
The easiest way to clean the microwave is by using lemon juice and water. Generally, you can find both of these items in an average kitchen. Get one cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl and squeeze one lemon in it. Microwave the solution for 3 minutes, clean the microwave from the inside, and your work is done.
How to get out burning smells from a microwave?
To remove the burning smell from a microwave:
- Add a small amount of baking soda to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Now fill the bowl with water and mix it well.
- Microwave this water and baking soda mixture for 5 minutes on high heat setting.
- Turn off the microwave after 5 minutes but do not open the door.
- Once the steam settles in, open the door.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave with an old towel to finish the process.
How long do you leave a lemon in the microwave to clean it?
You can leave the lemon and water solution in the microwave for 3-5 minutes to clean the microwave. Do not leave it for more than 5 minutes, or it can make the microwave smell.
If you think 5 minutes is not enough to clean your microwave, you can add one tablespoon of vinegar to the mixture. Vinegar acts as a slightly stronger cleaning agent and helps clean the microwave better.
Yay!!! You finally learned how to clean the microwave with lemon. But before you leave, remember always to dilute the lemon juice with water to prevent the microwave from getting damaged.
If you don’t clean your microwave regularly, add a splash of vinegar to the mixture. The vinegar acts as a slightly stronger cleaner and betters the result.
So, what are you waiting for? Get some lemons and clean your microwave.