Are you looking for a vegan substitute for pasta? Spaghetti squash could be the perfect thing for you.
The market is filled with vegan spaghetti, but the spaghetti squash offers a different taste than the conventional pasta. And this is why I love it.
And after cooking spaghetti squash for months, I have come to one realization. Cooking it in a microwave is the best way to do it.
But wait, how do you microwave spaghetti squash? It is simple than you might expect. Let me explain!
Can you microwave spaghetti squash?
Yes, you can microwave spaghetti squash. Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave is easier than most people anticipate. And it also takes just a few minutes to do.
One of the best reasons everyone should microwave spaghetti squash is convenience. You do not need any fancy equipment to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave. Just take a big microwave-safe dish and some water, and that’s it.
However, when microwaving a spaghetti squash, you need to be careful. If you do not follow the proper instructions, then the spaghetti squash can even explode in the microwave.
How do you microwave spaghetti squash?
To microwave spaghetti squash:
- Start the process by cutting the spaghetti squash in halves.
- Now pour one to two cups of water into a 9×13 inches microwave dish.
- Place the spaghetti squash in the dish. Make sure the cut side is facing down.
- Microwave it for 10 minutes on the high power setting.
- After 10 minutes, check the spaghetti squash for doneness. If it is not done yet, microwave it for 2-minute intervals until fully cooked.
Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave might look like a difficult task. But it is pretty simple. You just need to remember one detail.
Whenever microwaving spaghetti squash, fill the microwave-safe dish with water. It will help the squash cook evenly. Furthermore, place the spaghetti squash cut side down.
Is it safe to microwave spaghetti squash?
Yes, it is safe to microwave spaghetti squash as long as you follow the proper instructions. Cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave the wrong way can even make it explode.
You might have heard stories of spaghetti squash exploding in the microwave. It is not a hoax.
Spaghetti squash needs to be cut in halves before microwaving. The heat and steam will not build up in the spaghetti squash. Hence cutting the spaghetti squash prevents it from exploding. If you cannot cut the spaghetti squash in two halves for some reason, at least put several slits in it to prevent exploding.
How long does it take to microwave spaghetti squash?
The time it takes to microwave spaghetti squash depends on the size of the spaghetti squash and the microwave wattage. You can microwave a medium-sized spaghetti squash on a high heat setting for 12-15 minutes.
The main factor that affects the cooking time of the spaghetti squash is its size. Smaller spaghetti squashes take less time to microwave than bigger spaghetti squashes. Similarly, if you use a low-wattage microwave, it will take longer to cook the squash.
How do you know when spaghetti squash is done microwaving?
When the spaghetti squash is done microwaving, the most obvious sign would be its texture. Uncooked spaghetti squash has a thick exterior. Meanwhile, cooked spaghetti squash has a softer texture.
One of the easiest ways to know if your spaghetti squash is done or not is by using a knife. After microwaving the spaghetti squash for 10 minutes, insert a knife into the spaghetti squash. If the knife goes in easily, then the spaghetti squash is done.
How to cut spaghetti squash safely?
To cut spaghetti squash safely:
- Wash the spaghetti squash with water and dry it with a towel.
- Now place a towel on the countertop to prevent the spaghetti squash from moving.
- Place the spaghetti squash on the towel horizontally.
- Now get a sharp knife and start cutting the spaghetti squash from the opposite side of the stem.
- When the cut gets near the stem, put the knife aside.
- Hold the spaghetti squash with both hands and tear apart the two halves.
- Now with a clean spoon, take out the spaghetti squash seeds.
Cutting spaghetti squash is not a difficult job. However, the stem part of the fruit is rather thicker, and using a knife to cut it can damage your knife. So, instead of trying to cut through the stem, just use your hands to detach the two halves from each other.
Tips to Microwave Spaghetti Squash
Microwaving spaghetti squash is a simple process. But missing even one step can ruin the entire process.
Here are some of my top tips for microwave spaghetti squash.
- When microwaving spaghetti squash, always cut it in halves. Microwaving a whole spaghetti squash is dangerous. The steam can build up inside the squash, and it can cause the spaghetti squash to explode in the microwave.
- You can also put slits in the spaghetti squash. The slits prevent the steam from building up in the spaghetti squash. Hence they prevent the spaghetti squash from exploding.
- Never microwave spaghetti squash on its own. Always fill a big microwave-safe dish with 1 inch of water and then place the spaghetti squash cut down on the dish. The water will help the spaghetti squash cook evenly and prevent drying out.
- Once the microwaving period is over, make some slits in the spaghetti squash. If it feels soft, then the spaghetti squash is done, and I should turn off the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to cook spaghetti squash fast?
Microwaving spaghetti squash is one of the fastest ways to cook it. You can cook spaghetti squash in the microwave within 15 minutes. On the other hand, cooking spaghetti squash in the oven takes 30 to 45 minutes.
Furthermore, microwaving spaghetti squash requires only two things. This means even the preparation process is also faster than other methods.
How to cook spaghetti squash whole?
I do not recommend microwaving a spaghetti squash whole. Because the steam and heat can build up in the spaghetti squash, it can explode in the microwave.
However, if, for some reason, you cannot cut the spaghetti squash, then there might be a way to cook spaghetti squash whole.
Put slits in the whole spaghetti squash with a knife. If you have a fork with long tines, you can also use it. Then microwave a spaghetti squash on high heat for 5-minute intervals. Keep checking the spaghetti squash for doneness and when it feels cooked, turn off the microwave.
Let the spaghetti squash cool down for a minute and then carefully cut it and serve.
Can you soften spaghetti squash in the microwave?
Yes, you can soften the spaghetti squash in the microwave. If your spaghetti squash is harder to cut into, then the microwave can help soften it.
- First, make large slits in the spaghetti squash. This will release the heat from the squash while microwaving.
- Now place the spaghetti squash on a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 3-5 minutes on high heat.
- Turn on the turntable to evenly soften the squash.
All spaghetti squashes are not the same. Some are easier to cut, while others have a rock-solid exterior. If you just want some help with cutting the spaghetti squash, the microwave can still come in handy.
However, no matter if you are microwaving the squash to cook or soften it, never forget to put slits in it. The slits prevent the heat and steam from building up in the spaghetti squash. And this can save the fruit from exploding in the microwave.
Congratulations!!! Now you know how to microwave spaghetti squash. Before you can go and start cooking the squash in the microwave, remember one thing.
Microwaving a whole spaghetti squash can be dangerous. The heat can build up in the squash and make the fruit explode. So, always make slits in the spaghetti squash and preferably cut it in two halves for a safer process.
Now, turn on that microwave and start cooking spaghetti squash.