Can you microwave jolly ranchers?
Microwaving Jolly Ranchers? That’s a weird idea!! Said no one ever.
Ask anyone who likes to make sure that their desserts not only taste but look good as well. These colorful candies are so versatile for adding pops of color to your sweet concoctions.
Ever notice the colorful window panes on a gingerbread house? Or the crystalized centers of ornamental cookies that hang from Christmas trees. Yup, all those are made using Jolly ranchers candies.
Not only do these candies taste great, but they come in a plethora of flavors and colors to suit everyone’s tastebuds. From green apple, blue raspberry, and fruit punch to watermelon, there’s about every flavor and color available.
So coming back to your question……
Can you microwave Jolly Ranchers?
Yes, yes, and yes! Jolly Ranchers candies are definitely suitable for microwaving. You can melt jolly ranches into a liquid candy that can be re-molded into new shapes.
And melting jolly ranchers is pretty straightforward and easy as well. To produce around one tablespoon of liquid candy, you will need to heat about five candies, preferably crushed or broken down into smaller pieces (for even heating) on high for 1 minute.
Of course, microwaves differ in wattage power as well, so your results may vary from mine. If you feel the Jolly Rancher hasn’t melted enough to form a liquid consistency continue heating in 15-second intervals until you get the consistency you are looking for.
Now all you dessert aficionados out there can easily take your sweet treats to a new level by adding a cake topper or a colorful ornament that’s made out of these hard candies.
How to microwave Jolly Ranchers?
Here’s a fun fact for you. Jolly Rancher candy company came onto the market long before the microwave. They have been used as confectionary decor even before the microwave, with people melting jolly ranchers in the oven.
Now with the arrival of microwaves in our lives, it’s still just as easy, if not more, to melt jolly ranchers using a microwave. Follow these simple steps on how to microwave Jolly Ranchers:
- Unwrap Jolly Ranchers and place in a microwave-safe cup/dish/jug.
- Evenly space out your Jolly Ranchers on your microwave dish.
- Microwave on high heat for about a minute.
- If at the end of 1-minute you feel you feel that the jolly rancher candy hasn’t melted enough for your liking, then microwave in 15-second intervals till it is melted to your liking.
- Once melted, use oven mitts and carefully take them out of the microwave. Melted candy can cause a serious burn. So you have to be extra careful while handling it.
Bonus tips when microwaving Jolly Ranchers:
Here are some additional tips that I’ve found useful while trying to melt Jolly Ranchers. Keep them in mind for smooth sailing.
- Always try to start with crushed jolly rancher hard candy or candy that has been broken down into smaller pieces so that they can melt evenly.
- For better results melt jolly ranchers of the same colors together. Mixing different colors while melting can create a hodge-podge muddy effect.
- Don’t go overboard here by melting jolly ranchers too long; it can burn the sugar in the jolly rancher candies, and you will be left with a dark caramelized mess which will be very difficult to clean off the dish.
- Always keep a close eye on the Jolly ranchers while you are microwaving them. At any time if you see them bubbling too much, stop and check to prevent them from overcooking.
- Once melted, transfer them onto a baking sheet lined with either a Silpat or parchment paper and work quickly because they can harden very quickly. This means you may have to reheat and begin again.
How long to microwave Jolly Ranchers?
The general rule of thumb to follow while microwaving Jolly Ranchers is 1-minute for 4 candies.
Increase or decrease the time by adjusting based on how many candies you would need to melt.
Here is a quick guideline to follow:
Number of Jolly RanchersTimeQuantity of melted candy produced4 60 seconds10ml880 seconds20 ml16120 seconds40 ml
Is it safe to microwave Jolly Ranchers?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to melt Jolly ranchers candy in the microwave.
If you are worried about the dangers of emission of toxic fumes or something catching fire, then you can put your mind at ease.
Because Jolly Ranchers are edible items, they will not be dangerous to consume (apart from the calories, but who’s counting anyway) either in their hard candy form or molten state.
However, I would caution you against directly eating it when it’s molten because melted Jolly Ranchers can be extremely hot and can cause a serious burn.
For this same reason handle them with care as you take them out of the microwave to avoid splashing or accidental spilling.
What to do with melted Jolly ranchers?
Now that you have finally nailed down how to melt Jolly Ranchers in the microwave perfectly, the question arises how and where can you use it?
I like to melt and reshape my jolly ranchers by using cookie-cutter molds and adding a personalized touch to different themed gifts or Christmas tree decorations.
- For this, I melt several candy colors (in separate bowls of course).
- Place a greased cookie cutter in the shape of my choice on a Silpat and carefully pour in the melted jolly ranchers, varying the colors as desired.
- Swirl the colors gently using a toothpick, and then simply let it harden for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, simply pop out and use as desired.
Other great options for using melted Jolly Ranchers include:
- Using them as a candy apple coating
- Using semi cooled Jolly Ranchers for making decorative items like flowers for cake toppers
- I’ve never tried this, but some people mix the melted Jolly ranchers with warm water and use this syrup to flavor other drinks when chilled.
How do you get hardened Jolly Ranchers out of a bowl?
Ok, let’s begin with some common problems people usually see when they start with melting hard candy.
So I’m picturing this, you have all the prep done and are ready to pop your bowl of Jolly Ranchers into the microwave for melting. As soon as you hit the start button, your neighbor drops by for a long chat.
You forget all about that bowl that’s spinning in the microwave and by the time your neighbor leaves, instead of the melted candy you find a slab of burnt and blackened hard candy, and what’s worse is that it’s stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
No amount of scraping or scrubbing is going to get that disaster out (unless you plan on using a chisel and hammer, in which case, bye-bye glass bowl)
The good news is as long as your bowls are microwave proof, they can be filled with boiling hot water from a kettle to melt and release the hardened candy. Within minutes, the sugary residue will dissolve into non-existence.
I think the name “Jolly ranchers” says it all. Spread a jolly cheer around as you showcase how creative you can get with food.
Just pop these candies in a microwave-safe bowl for a few minutes, and after they melt you can get creative.