If you have frozen salmon in your freezer that you’ve decided to throw together for a quick meal for unexpected guests, you’re at the right place.
If you’re short on time, you can simply chuck it in the microwave to cook it. While it’s an unconventional method of cooking salmon that many people advise against, it serves the purpose. You can serve cooked and delicious salmon in just a few minutes and wow your guests!
So, if you’re interested in knowing how to cook frozen salmon in the microwave, read on as I cover all the important bits!
Is it safe to cook frozen salmon in the microwave?
Yes, it is completely safe to cook frozen salmon in the microwave. You just need to make sure that it is cooked all the way through. To do that, take a meat thermometer and check the thickest part of the cooked salmon. It should be around 130-145 degrees Fahrenheit to be safe enough to consume.
While cooking using a microwave is an unusual practice, it can produce great results, especially if you just want to poach the fish.
When cooking frozen salmon in a microwave, there’s no way to really know if it is cooked just by looking at it from the outside. Sure, the color will change, but you can’t be sure if it’s thoroughly cooked.
For even and safe cooking, it’s best to use a food thermometer and ensure it is at the right internal temperature whenever you microwave frozen salmon.
How to cook frozen salmon in the microwave?
To cook frozen salmon in the microwave, first, get rid of any packaging and season it with spices of your choice, like lemon juice, salt, and pepper. You can also add some butter to enhance the salmon’s taste. Then, put it in a microwave-safe container and cover it using a microwave-safe lid. Finally, nuke the fish at high power in 3-minute intervals until it is completely cooked.
It is very easy to undercook frozen salmon. To prevent that from happening, here’s a detailed outline of how you need to go about cooking frozen salmon in the microwave:
- Take out the fish from its packaging and put it on a plate. Remove any ice crystals to get rid of moisture so that the fish doesn’t explode. I also recommend patting the fish with a paper towel.
- Transfer the salmon to a microwave-safe container and season it. One of my favorite ways of cooking salmon is just by sprinkling some salt & pepper, lemon juice, and butter. You can also use margarine instead.
- Cover up the salmon with a microwave-safe lid to avoid splatter in case of an explosion and limit the lingering fish smell. Alternatively, you can use a plastic wrap; just make sure it’s microwaveable.
- Set your microwave at high and nuke the fish for 3-4 minutes. Once the time is up, check the temperature of your cooked salmon using a meat thermometer, flip it to ensure even heating, and continue microwaving at intervals of 3-4 minutes.
- Continue doing so until the temperature at the thickest part of the salmon is around 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Since you’re dealing with salmon, you will need to microwave it for a few minutes to cook it thoroughly.
For the best results, you should always thaw frozen salmon fillet before cooking it. Doing so not only cuts down the cooking time by half but also prevents the fish from getting destroying.
How to defrost and cook frozen salmon in the microwave?
To defrost and cook frozen salmon in the microwave, first nuke it on low power for a couple of minutes to defrost it. Then, cut it up, season it, and cook it on high power for a few minutes until it is done.
First defrosting and then cooking frozen salmon in the microwave is just slightly different from directly cooking frozen salmon in the microwave. Here’s what you need to do:
- Never microwave the original packaging that the frozen salmon came in. Only use microwave-safe containers in the microwave to cook salmon.
- This method to cook salmon first involves defrosting the salmon. For this, you need to set your microwave on defrost mode. If you don’t have that setting, set your appliance to about 30% power. Nuke the fish for 1-2 minutes depending on how powerful your microwave is. Continue doing so until the fish feels warm or defrosts completely.
- Then, take out the salmon, cut it up into pieces, and season it. Try to cut equal pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Now, set your microwave on high and nuke the fish for 3-4 minutes. Continue to microwave frozen salmon until the internal temperature is around 145 degrees, which indicates that the salmon is thoroughly cooked.
How long does it take to cook frozen salmon in a microwave?
The time it takes to cook frozen salmon fillets in a microwave depends on various factors. These include how frozen the salmon is, how powerful your microwave is, and the thickness and quantity of the salmon. But in general, you will have to cook an 8 oz frozen salmon fillet for 3-4 minutes.
If you already thawed your salmon in the fridge, it will take less time as compared to a fully frozen salmon that you just took out of the freezer.
Similarly, a high-powered microwave will drastically reduce your cooking time for cooked salmon. Meanwhile, you might microwave the frozen salmon steaks for more than 8-9 minutes if you have a low-powered microwave.
In addition, the number of salmon fillets or pieces you microwave in one go and the thickness of each piece also matter. Thin strips or fillets will cook faster than thick fillets.
It’s also important to note that different salmon pieces will require different times. So if you want to cook more than one fillet in the microwave, it’s best to do so in batches to make sure all pieces cook evenly and thoroughly.
Why does salmon explode in the microwave?
Cooking frozen salmon in the microwave causes an explosion because the salmon contains water and fats that are naturally occurring. So when you microwave salmon, the fat heats up and that, combined with moisture, results in an explosion.
To prevent an explosion, first, pat the salmon with a paper towel to get rid of moisture. Alternatively, you even layer a piece of paper towel or parchment paper over the salmon and then nuke it in the microwave.
Does cooking frozen salmon in the microwave smell?
Cooking frozen salmon in the microwave does smell, but it smells less than cooking frozen salmon with other methods like in the oven or on the stove.
Even if your kitchen does start to smell, there are some things you can do to avoid residual odor, such as:
- Microwaving thawed instead of frozen salmon: Raw, thawed salmon is relatively less smelly to microwave.
- Using fresh salmon: The easiest way to know the freshness of the salmon is by smell. Fresh salmon has a mild smell so it won’t make your kitchen smell too much. But if it smells too fishy, then it’s not very fresh and will stink your kitchen.
- Microwaving frozen salmon only for the recommended time: You now know that you only need to microwave the salmon for a few minutes to cook it, especially if you’re just cooking one piece. Overcooking the salmon dries the fat, which results in the pungent fish smell.
Even if you end up overcooking the salmon, don’t worry. You can deodorize the microwave using lemon juice and water.
The bottom line
You now know how to cook frozen salmon in the microwave. There’s nothing wrong with cooking salmon in the microwave, especially if you’re short on time. You just need to be careful not to overcook it, and you’ll have juicy, moist, and delicious dish in no time!
What is the best way to cook frozen salmon fillet in the microwave?
To cook frozen salmon fillet in the microwave, wrap the salmon in plastic wrap or place it in a microwave safe dish and microwave for about 2-4 minutes intervals. The fish must get to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F to be safe to eat.
Can I defrost frozen salmon in the microwave?
Yes, you can defrost frozen salmon in the microwave. Simply microwave for a few minutes until the salmon is thawed, then cook it as desired.
What makes microwaving salmon a delicious meal option?
Microwaving salmon is a delicious meal option because it is quick and easy, and the fish cooks evenly in the microwave. You can also add your favorite seasonings and sauces to enhance the flavor.
Can I use baking dish to cook salmon in the microwave?
Yes, you can use a baking dish to cook salmon in the microwave. Simply place the salmon in the dish, add your seasonings and sauces, cover with plastic wrap and microwave in 3-4 minute intervals until it’s fully cooked.
How do I know when my frozen fish is perfectly cooked in the microwave?
Your frozen fish is perfectly cooked in the microwave when it is flaky and easily separated with a fork. You can also use a food thermometer to check that the internal temperature has reached 145°F.
Are there any specific salmon recipes that are great for microwaving?
Teriyaki salmon is a popular recipe that is great for microwaving. Simply marinate the salmon in teriyaki sauce and microwave until fully cooked.
Can I use cling wrap instead of plastic wrap to cook frozen salmon in the microwave?
Yes, you can use cling wrap instead of plastic wrap to cook frozen salmon in the microwave since they are essentially the same . Simply wrap the salmon in cling wrap and microwave until fully cooked.
Is microwaving salmon a good option for a quick and easy meal?
Yes, microwaving salmon is a good option for a quick and easy meal. It takes only a few minutes to cook in the microwave and it is a delicious, healthy meal option.