Do you have a ton of chocolate chips and don’t know what to do with them? Learning how to melt chocolate chips in the microwave can help you use all this chocolate.
A few months ago, I planned on making a chocolate cake and accidentally ordered more chocolate chips than I needed. Instead of throwing them away, I learned how to melt chocolate chips. And then used it to dip strawberries and decorate the cake.
I tried a few methods to melt the chocolate chips. But the best method was definitely microwaving.
It took lesser time to melt the chocolate chips. And did not leave me with a ton of dirty dishes.
So, if you too have chocolate chips that you want to melt, let me show you how you can do it.
How do you melt chocolate chips in the microwave?
To melt chocolate chips in the microwave:
- Place the chocolate chips in a dry glass bowl.
- Now microwave the chocolate chips for 20-30 seconds intervals on the medium (50%) setting.
- Stir the chocolate chips between the intervals with a dry spatula to ensure even melting.
- Once the chocolate chips look almost melted, take them out of the microwave.
- Keep stirring them till they have melted completely.
And this is how you can melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Looks too easy, right? But it isn’t.
The secret to melting chocolate chips in the microwave is simple. Keep stirring the chocolate between the intervals. The stirring and mixing motion allows the microwave to heat the chocolate evenly.
Another thing to never forget is to only use dry utensils. Even a small amount of water can seize the chocolate and stop melting.
Lastly, it is crucial to remove the chocolate chips from the microwave before they are melted completely.
The residual heat finishes melting the chocolate chips. On the other hand, prolonged heat exposure burns chocolate chips.
Is it safe to melt chocolate chips in the microwave?
Yes, it is safe to melt chocolate chips in the microwave. However, it is necessary to follow the proper method.
Only use a microwave-safe bowl to ensure the chocolate melting process is safe. Using a metal or plastic container can ruin your microwave and cause a short circuit.
Lastly, do not cover the chocolate chips with anything. Covering the bowl causes condensation, and it can seize the chocolate.
How long does it take to melt chocolate chips in the microwave?
It takes around 60-second or three 20-second intervals to melt ½ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave at the 50% setting. But several factors can change the melting time.
Usually, if you are melting ½ cup of dark chocolate chips in the microwave, it will take only 1 minute. But different types of chocolate chips take different amounts of time to melt.
For example, it takes 1 minute to melt milk chocolate chips in the microwave. But to melt white chocolate chips in the microwave, you only need 45-second.
The size of chocolate chips also affects the melting time. For example, mini chocolate chips take 1 minute and two 15-second intervals to melt at 50% power. But as the size increases, the melting time also increases. For example, standard-sized and jumbo-sized chocolate chips take 1 ½ minute and two 15-second intervals.
How to melt chocolate chips with butter in the microwave?
To melt the chocolate chips with butter in the microwave:
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe glass bowl.
- Microwave it for 20-30 seconds at the 50% power setting.
- Take out the bowl from the microwave, stir the chocolate, and then microwave again for 20-30 seconds.
- Keep repeating this process till the chocolate chips have melted.
- Now add room temperature butter to the chocolate chips and mix well.
Yes, melting chocolate chips with butter is easy. However, remember that you should only add two tablespoons of butter per ½ cup of chocolate chips.
How to melt chocolate chips with milk in the microwave?
To melt the chocolate chips with milk in the microwave:
- Take 3 tablespoons of milk per 1 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat the milk at 50% power for 30-second in the microwave.
- Add the chocolate chips to the milk and stir it with a spatula.
- Microwave them for 15-second intervals at 50% power if the chocolate chips have not melted yet.
- Stir the chocolate chips again after the microwave interval to ensure even melting.
How do you know when chocolate chips are done melting in the microwave?
When the chocolate chips are done melting in the microwave, the most obvious sign would be the chocolate’s texture. As soon as the chocolate looks almost melted, take it out.
The residual heat from the chocolate will be enough to melt the chocolate fully. But if you leave the bowl in the microwave for too long, it can burn the chocolate.
If you do not trust your instincts, use a food-grade thermometer instead. Chocolate chips begin to melt at 90 °F. And as soon as they reach 115 °F, the chocolate starts to burn.
So, keep checking the temperature of the chocolate in between the intervals. And take it out before it reaches 115 °F.
Tips to Melt Chocolate Chips in the Microwave
Melting chocolate chips in the microwave looks like an easy task. But several things can go wrong during the process.
Following are a few tips that can help you perfectly melt chocolate chips in the microwave each time.
- When melting chocolate chips or any other form of chocolate in the microwave, use dry utensils only. Even a small amount of moisture can seize the chocolate and ruin the process.
- It is best to use a glass bowl for two reasons. Glass warms up faster and hence fastens the healing process. Secondly, glass bowls make it easier to determine if the chocolate chips have melted entirely or not.
- Keep stirring the chocolate chips in between the microwave intervals. The stirring motion distributes the heat throughout the chocolate chips and ensures an even melting process,
- Take out the chocolate chips from the oven before they have melted completely and keep stirring them. The residual heat will melt the
Frequently Asked Question
Why won’t my chocolate chips melt in the microwave?
One of the main reasons chocolate chips might not be melting in the microwave is water. If you accidentally add or drop water in the chocolate, it can seize the chocolate. In other words, the chocolate becomes stiff and grainy, and it cannot melt properly.
This is why it is better not to use the double boiling method, as there are more chances of water getting in the chocolate. Moreover, when microwaving the chocolate, use dry utensils only to ensure better melting.
How do you melt Nestle chocolate chips?
To microwave Nestle chocolate chips:
- Place the Nestle chocolate chips in a microwave-safe glass bowl.
- Microwave it for 1 minute on 100% power.
- Take out the bowl and stir the chocolate.
- If the chocolate has not melted yet, microwave it for 10-20 seconds intervals until it is melted.
Do not forget to stir the chocolate between the 10-20 seconds intervals to ensure even melting.
Do you add butter when melting chocolate chips?
Yes, you can add butter or even milk to melting chocolate chips. The liquid helps the chocolate to melt smoothly and evenly. However, beware. Adding milk, cream, or butter changes its consistency and thins the chocolate.
Start with a small amount of butter, milk, or cream. And keep adding as much as you need along the way.
Is seized chocolate still edible?
Yes, seized chocolate is still edible and tastes similar to regular chocolate. But, due to the change in the consistency, you will not be able to mold the seized chocolate. But you can still use it for other dishes.
Congratulations!!! Now you know how to melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Whether you melt the chocolate chips for dipping fruits or decorating cookies, microwaving them is the easiest method. So, turn on your microwave and start melting chocolate chips.