Who doesn’t want to be healthy? Each of us may have already taken a step or two in achieving a better lifestyle, but may not be able to somehow keep up because of our usual fast-paced lifestyle. It’s a good thing that we have accessible and community-friendly establishments like Trader Joe’s that provide us with various options and healthy alternatives for healthy meals.
Quinoa is one of Trader Joe’s frozen products that is a healthier alternative to your usual white or brown rice and other whole grains. This is jampacked with nutrients and minerals such as riboflavin, iron, protein, and fiber.
However, it can be very tricky to cook it properly to achieve that nice and fluffy texture that quinoa is known for. This is why a lot of people are wondering if it is possible to cook Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa using a microwave.
With that, here are some of the things you need to know about microwaving Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa for your quick and easy healthy meal.
Can you microwave Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa?
YES! You can microwave Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa. This is because their frozen quinoa is already cooked before it was packaged and frozen for distribution. This is also the reason why it is easier and quicker to microwave.
You don’t need to worry about the changes in the texture or taste of your healthy meal. This is because you can still enjoy the well-known fluffy and smooth texture as well as the earthy taste of quinoa even by just microwaving it. Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa has been processed to be your healthy meal that is always fresh and very easy to prepare. When reheated using a microwave properly, Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa will look and taste closely similar to the usual quinoa that you may cook in your home.
How to microwave Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa?
Of course, you still need to be careful when microwaving your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa instead of cooking it using a stovetop. If you want your quinoa to have that signature fluffiness, then you need to make sure you reheat it properly.
With that, here are some simple steps that you can follow to reheat Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa for your quick and easy meal:
- Poke 4 to 5 holes in the pouch of your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa. You don’t need to worry because the pouch used for its packaging is safe for microwaving. So, you don’t need to transfer the contents to another microwavable dish. However, you should never forget to poke holes in the pouch. This is to let the moisture and pressure that will form inside have a way out while it is heating and to ultimately prevent your quinoa pouch from exploding inside your microwave.
- If you do want to transfer your quinoa to another microwavable container before heating it, then you can also do so. Just make sure that you add a couple of tablespoons of water into your quinoa and cover it with parchment paper or a paper towel so that the steam can still be trapped inside while it is heating. You may also use a flat microwavable dish or plastic wrap if you have no other options.
- Place it inside the microwave and make sure that its seam side is facing up. The heating process might cause the seams to slightly pop open. Although this is not a usual thing that happens, it’s better to make sure that all your quinoa stays inside the pouch while it’s heating rather than outside of it.
- Set your microwave’s heat setting to high and let your quinoa be heated for about 3½ minutes.
- After the given time for heating, let your quinoa rest inside the microwave for another 2½ minutes. Do NOT remove your quinoa from the microwave and do NOT turn on the heat setting. Just let its steam settle so it can properly be heated.
- After your quinoa has rested and the steam has settled, remove the pouch from the microwave. Open it and transfer the contents to a serving dish.
- If you want to serve your quinoa hot, you may reheat it once again until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
- Season as you wish and serve it with your favorite salads and dishes to complete your quick and easy healthy meal.
Tips when microwaving Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa
Microwaving Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa is very easy and simple. Of course, there still are a few other things that you need to keep in mind when doing this. Here are some quick reminders for you to make sure that you don’t face any hassle when preparing your healthy meal:
Check your microwave
You need to consider the wattage of the microwave you’re using when it comes to heating your quinoa. As stated in the steps above, it takes only around 3½ minutes to reheat Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa using a microwave on a high setting. However, this is considering that you will be using a microwave that has a 1200 wattage. This means that the time you need to spend when reheating your quinoa may change if you use a microwave with different wattage.
Possibly, if the wattage is lower then you need to reheat it longer than 3½ minutes. On the other hand, if the wattage is higher then you need to do the reheating for a shorter period. It may take a while before you finally figure out the right time that you need to achieve a perfectly reheated Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa using your microwave. Nevertheless, you may still stick with the steps mentioned here and just reheat your quinoa again if you feel like it still needs more time in the microwave.
Follow the steps properly
Another thing that you need to remember is to follow the steps on how to properly microwave your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa. Let your quinoa rest after you’ve reheated it in the microwave. Even if it seems like a step that you can just let go of, it is still as important as the rest.
Letting your quinoa rest lets the steam settle and fully heat your quinoa right. If you want your healthy meal to look and taste like how you imagine homemade quinoa cooked on a stovetop would be, then make sure you follow the steps properly. Always remember: patience is the key.
Another thing is that you should not microwave your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa for too long or for too short a time. This is because this can also affect the quality of your quinoa. It may not look as presentable and may not taste as nice as it should’ve if you don’t reheat it carefully.
Of course, there may be adjustments that need to be made. This is especially when you are working with a different kind of microwave or if you decide to reheat too much quinoa in just one go. Don’t overcrowd your microwave because this may affect its heat temperature.
Double-check the quantity
If you plan to prepare Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa for a group of people, make sure that you know how much you need. There are only two packets in each box of Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa. Inside each packet is only half a cup of quinoa.
You need to know how many heads you are expecting to feed. Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa may not be what you want if you are expecting a lot of people to come by and eat with you. However, that is really up to you. Of course, you may still choose to just buy several boxes of this frozen quinoa and microwave them by batch. Besides, it is quick and easy to do.
Now you have all you need to know to properly microwave your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa for your quick and easy healthy meals. Who knew that eating healthy doesn’t have to be a struggle after all?
So, what are you waiting for? Go grab a box of your Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa and get that microwave heating!