Let me guess, you’ve already tried your hand at microwaving your leftover Domino’s pizza only to be disappointed. Either of the two things must’ve happened, it got limp and soggy, or the crust turned rock hard and you almost broke a tooth trying to bite into it.
Disheartened, you turned to the internet for advice to see if there was any possibility of bringing your favorite fast food back to life. Good thing you stumbled upon this article because here I will be sharing with you some game-changing hacks for getting the best out of your leftover pizza.
Can you reheat Domino’s pizza in the microwave?
Yes, you definitely can reheat Domino’s pizza in the microwave. In fact, using the microwave to reheat your pizza is the fastest way.
However, if up till now you simply have been tossing your pizza on a plate and putting it in the microwave, then let me tell you that it doesn’t work that way because there’s a bit of technique involved.
Don’t worry though, you still won’t need a long list of prerequisites just to heat a slice of yesterday’s dinner. Keep reading ahead to find out the magic trick to revive your leftover Dominos.
How to reheat Domino’s pizza in the microwave?
The simplest way to reheat Domino’s pizza in the microwave would involve:
Spread a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate and keep your pizza slice on top of the paper towel so that all the excess moisture and grease can be absorbed by it.
The pizza now might not get soggy but chances are that the direct zapping from the microwave rays might make the crust chewy and tough. Don’t worry, I’ve had enough leftover pizzas in my life to know a hack around this problem as well.
Always remember the golden rule of reheating foods in the microwave aka adding moisture. I would usually recommend that you wrap foods in damp paper towels before microwaving so that they don’t dry out when reheating.
But, I’ve also found that, if you wrap pizza slices in damp paper towels, the cheese will melt while heating and end up sticking to your paper towel.
Therefore, as an alternative, I recommend you place a small microwave-safe container filled with water along with the pizza plate in the microwave to create steam to prevent your pizza crust from drying out.
Combine both of these techniques and you’ve got a winner method for reheating Domino’s pizza in your microwave.
Best way to reheat Domino’s pizza in the microwave:
While pizza can be reheated just as well if you use only a paper towel and a cup full of water. But if you want to get fancy and integrate a few extra tools for getting the perfect slice of reheated pizza then get a crisper tray and follow the instructions below:
- Preheat the crisper tray in the microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Line the crisper with two layers of paper towels to absorb any moisture and grease from the pizza.
- Place the pizza slices on the paper towel-lined crisper in such a way that they don’t overlap one another.
- Microwave on HIGH or 165 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-2 minutes. Once reheated, serve promptly while still hot.
Alternative ways to reheat pizza using the microwave:
Let’s face it, using a microwave crisper might be the best way to get a perfectly reheated pizza slice. But it’s not a tool that everyone has available in their kitchens.
While microwaving with a container of water may heat and melt the cheese to perfection, it will nevertheless not give you that coveted crunchy crust you crave with fresh pizza.
So what are your options if you want to get your crust crunchy again?
- Use a microwave + toaster oven: Reheat your pizza in the oven for 10-15 seconds on medium heat or until lukewarm. Transfer to a preheated toaster oven and let it heat until the crust is crispy to your liking.
- Use a microwave + skillet: Similar to the above method, heat your pizza in the microwave on medium heat until lukewarm. Transfer to a lightly oiled skillet or a nonstick frying pan. Heat until the bottom crust crisps up.
- Use a microwave + oven: Just like the toaster oven method, you heat the pizza in the microwave and then transfer it into a preheated oven to crisp up.
However, make sure your baking sheet (preferably metal) is already preheated before placing the pizza on it in the oven. The sudden heat hitting the already warmed pizza ensures a nice and crispy crust.
How long should I microwave to reheat Domino’s pizza?
Domino’s pizza needs only to be reheated for 1-2 minutes on HIGH power or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, you should keep an eye on the pizza while it is in the microwave. And if you see any signs of excessive bubbling of cheese, then it’s time to take the pizza out.
Can you reheat Domino’s pizza inside the box?
Heating leftover Domino’s pizza inside the cardboard box can be done safely for up to 1 minute.
However, it is not something I would recommend. Going any further past the 1-minute mark means you are increasing your chances of the box catching on fire pretty quickly (because the microwave rays will dry out the cardboard the longer it stays inside the microwave)
Not to mention the chemicals (like mineral oil which are present especially in recycled paper products) that might leach into your food from the cardboard itself.
I know takeout seems perfect for days when you’ve had it rough at work. Because the last thing you want to do when you get home is cook and clean up afterward. I won’t judge you, even if you keep the leftovers in the box inside the refrigerator.
But keep in mind that while the takeaway box can double as a storage container, one thing that it cannot double as is a microwave-safe container for reheating your pizza.
Should I thaw frozen Domino’s pizza before reheating it?
Ideally yes, if you have frozen your leftover pizza, it’s best to let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then it can be easily reheated in the microwave using the methods discussed above.
However, if you can’t wait to eat your pizza, then defrosting your pizza in the microwave is also an option.
Simply put the pizza slice/ slices in the microwave on the DEFROST or MEDIUM setting for 1-2 minutes or until thawed out from the center. Add a minute for every extra slice. After that reheat as described above until it’s piping hot.
BONUS: Hacks for using leftover Domino’s pizza
Who says that to enjoy leftover pizza you have to eat it as pizza? Just get creative and you’ll find that the possibilities are endless.
- Cinnamon Sticks: Cut off the pizza crusts and sprinkle them with some cinnamon sugar. Fry them with some butter and you’ve got a great-tasting dessert that no one will be able to guess came from pizza leftovers.
- Pizza omelet: Whip up some eggs, scrape off the pizza toppings and mix with the eggs. Fry them with some butter to make a pizza-flavored omelet. Top with salt and crushed black pepper before serving.
- Pizza waffle: Stack two pizza slices, topping sides facing each other. Place them in a waffle maker or a toasted sandwich maker and toast till crunchy and slightly golden. Makes the yummiest snack ever.
Reheating leftover Domino’s pizza isn’t any rocket science, all it involves is some technique.
The simplest way to reheat leftover pizza would be to heat it in a microwave with a crisper pan to get a perfectly crispy, crunchy crust. However, not having one isn’t a problem either, using a microwave in conjunction with a toaster oven or a skillet can work just as well to reheat your leftover Domino’s pizzas.