I love getting chipotle bowls for lunch. Especially on the days that I am working. They are healthy and reasonably priced, and you can customize them. What else can someone want?
But sometimes, I could not finish the entire bowl. And that’s when this question first came into my mind. Can I microwave a chipotle bowl to reheat?
I started digging in. And read about the chipotle bowl material. I also researched the FDA regulations. The answer was not what I expected.
If you want to know whether a chipotle bowl is microwave-safe or not, keep reading.
Can you microwave a chipotle bowl?
According to the FDA, the chipotle bowl is made with recyclable material. As the brand follows the rules, one might think the bowls are microwavable. But they are not.
Furthermore, the chipotle bowls also come with a lid. And this lid contains aluminum. As aluminum is not a microwave-safe material, you should not heat chipotle bowls with it.
But what about microwaving the chipotle bowl without its lid?
Even though it might sound like a good idea, do not microwave a chipotle bowl. The container is not microwavable.
Microwaving a chipotle bowl for an extended period can even cause hazards. Follow the proper instructions whenever you want to microwave the leftover chipotle bowl.
Throw away the chipotle bowl and pour its contents into a microwave-safe bowl. And then microwave the leftovers till they have warmed up. With that said, you should now have a definite answer to the question “are chipotle bowls microwavable.”
Related: Can You Microwave Chipotle Burrito?
How do you reheat leftover chipotle bowls in the microwave?
To reheat the leftover chipotle bowl in the microwave:
- Remove guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce from the chipotle container.
- Pour the leftover chipotle bowl into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave it for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Take out the bowl and mix well.
- Is the chipotle bowl still cold? Microwave it for 15 seconds intervals till it is entirely done.
- Lastly, add the lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream, and enjoy.
Well, reheating leftover chipotle bowls might look complicated to you. But the process is straightforward and quick.
One of my secrets to safely microwaving leftover chipotle bowls is simple. I use a microwave-safe bowl instead of microwaving the leftover with its container.
Another thing to remember is to mix the leftovers between each interval. Doing this allows the leftover chipotle bowl to heat up evenly.
Turn off the microwave when the leftovers reach 165°F. What if you do not have a food-grade thermometer? Just touch the leftovers to check their temperature.
Is it safe to microwave chipotle bowls?
No, it is not safe because chipotle bowls do not have the microwave-safe label at the bottom. Hence, you should not put it in the microwave.
Chipotle uses recyclable material to make chipotle bowls. You might think it is microwave-safe. But that is not the case here.
Moreover, the chipotle bowl comes with an aluminum lid. We all know aluminum is not microwave-safe. So, microwaving the chipotle bowl with or without its cover is unsafe.
How long does it take to microwave a bowl of chipotle leftovers?
The time it takes to microwave a leftover chipotle bowl depends on a few factors. For example, the ingredients and microwave wattage. On average, chipotle bowls take 1-minute to 1 minute 30 seconds to reheat in the microwave.
Chipotle bowl container is not microwave safe. But you can microwave the leftover chipotle bowl.
Remove guacamole, sour cream, and similar ingredients when heating chipotle bowls. The mentioned sauces heat up faster than the rest of the chipotle bowl. And it can turn the bowl soggy.
Furthermore, you should also take out the lettuce as its heating temperature is also low. If you microwave it with the rest of the bowl, it can turn soggy.
Tips to Microwave Leftover Chipotle Bowl
Reheating a leftover chipotle bowl in the microwave is a straightforward process. But sometimes, you can do one step wrong and make it soggy.
Following are the top tips for microwaving leftover chipotle bowls.
- Avoid microwaving chipotle bowls. Especially do not microwave it with the aluminum lid.
- If you do not have any other bowl, microwave the chipotle bowl. But do it only for 10 seconds intervals at a low heat setting.
- Cover the chipotle bowl with parchment paper to prevent splatters.
- Use a microwave-safe glass or ceramics bowl to microwave the leftover chipotle bowl.
- Always remove guacamole, sour cream, and every other type of sauce from the bowl. The sauces heat up faster and release water. This can turn the leftovers soggy.
- Remove the lettuce from the leftover chipotle bowl as well. Lettuce also heats up and releases water, and can make other ingredients soggy.
- Do not microwave the leftover chipotle bowl for more than 60 seconds simultaneously. The excess heat can burn the ingredients. Instead, microwave for shorter intervals.
- Mix the chipotle bowl between intervals. This will ensure the leftovers heat up evenly.
How to Know If a Container is Microwave Safe
As said before, you should only microwave containers that are microwave-safe. But how do you know if a container is microwave-safe or not?
Following are some tips to know if your container is microwave safe.
- Glass and ceramics are microwave-safe materials. Hence, most of the time, glass and ceramic containers are safe to put in the microwave.
- Most plastic types are not microwave-safe. And this is why you should avoid microwaving plastic containers.
- Cardboard containers do also not microwave safe. Microwaving cardboard containers such as pizza boxes can cause hazards.
- Plastic containers with BPA-free plastic are usually microwave-safe.
- The number 5 symbol at the bottom of a plastic container means it is microwave-safe.
- The microwave-safe looks like 3 wavy lines. And a container with this label is also microwave-safe.
Different Types of Chipotle Containers
I mentioned before that chipotle bowls are made with recyclable materials. But, that is not the case with all different chipotle containers.
Let me explain.
The Chipotle bowl comes with several different condiments, such as salsa. And these sauces come in plastic containers. These containers are not microwavable.
These plastic containers are not made with microwave-safe plastic. And heating them can release toxic chemicals in the food.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I microwave other chipotle containers?
Chipotle containers are not microwave-safe. So, you should not put them in the microwave. These containers are made with plant fibers. But that does not say that the container is microwave-safe.
If you want to know if the chipotle container is microwave-safe, check the container’s bottom. If the said container has a microwave-safe label, it can withstand the heat.
But I still recommend microwaving leftover chipotle bowls in a microwave-safe bowl instead. The process does not take too long. And it is a lot safer than microwaving the chipotle bowl container.
Can you eat leftover chipotle bowls cold?
Yes, you can eat leftover chipotle bowls cold. But there is one condition. You need to store the leftovers in an airtight container at a low temperature.
If the leftover chipotle container was lying around without a lid, bacteria can get in. And to kill those bacteria, you need to microwave the leftovers.
But, if you safely stored the leftover chipotle bowl, there is no issue eating it cold. Some people like chipotle bowls cold because it tastes refreshing.
Now that you have read the entire article, what do you think? Are chipotle bowls microwavable?
Let’s summarise! Chipotle bowls are made of recyclable material and are safe to carry food. But, recyclable material is not always microwavable. And hence, if you wonder “are the chipotle bowls microwavable” then the answer is a no.
Furthermore, chipotle bowls do not have the microwave-safe label at the bottom. This further confirms that you should not put a chipotle bowl in the microwave.
But you can always reheat the leftover chipotle bowl. Just use a microwave-safe bowl to do the job, and everything will turn out good.
So, turn on the microwave and reheat the leftover chipotle bowl.
You May Also Like: How to Reheat Chipotle In Microwave