Have you ever wondered how to cook rice in a microwave rice cooker? If yes, then this article is for you!
Cooking rice can be quite a hassle, especially if you don’t have much time. Of course, you can’t skip the basics like washing the rice, measuring it, and making sure it has enough water.
But you need to watch over it like a baby just to make sure it doesn’t burn. Using a stovetop to cook rice is just too much work.
Well, here’s some good news! You may want to try out using a microwave rice cooker to cook your rice.
So, how do you cook your rice in a microwave rice cooker?
Let’s find out!
Can you cook rice in a microwave rice cooker?
Yes! You can cook your rice using a microwave rice cooker. I think this method is much easier and faster than using your stovetop. It is also less messy and isn’t too much of a hassle either.
I have noticed that cooking rice in a microwave rice cooker makes the cook more evenly. You don’t have to worry about having bits of undercooked or overcooked rice then!
Additionally, the taste, texture, and overall quality of rice that is cooked in a microwave rice cooker is still very similar to rice cooked on a stovetop.
In short, you can enjoy the same quality of your rice in a much faster and more efficient way!
Is it safe to cook rice in a microwave rice cooker?
Yes! It is perfectly safe to cook your rice in a microwave rice cooker. Of course, you need to make sure that you follow the instructions and guidelines given by the manufacturer on how to properly use your microwave rice cooker.
Microwave rice cookers are designed to withstand high heat. So, it is microwave-safe and it isn’t harmful to your health.
You must take note of your microwave’s wattage as well as the way you prepare your rice before cooking. Don’t worry because we’ll be talking more about this in a little while.
If you are not careful enough, you might end up with either burnt or soggy rice (and I don’t think you’ll enjoy that).
Additionally, remember that it is NOT okay to reheat your rice multiple times. You may do this just ONCE.
If you reheat your cooked rice 2 or more times, there is a possibility that it will be contaminated and your health may suffer because of it.
How many cups of rice should you cook in a microwave rice cooker?
You must know how many cups of rice you’re going to cook before you even start using your microwave rice cooker.
I have listed down below the measurement I follow based on how many cups of cooked rice I want to have.
- ¾ cup of raw rice = 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1½ cups of raw rice = 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2⅓ cups of raw rice = 4 cups of cooked rice
You can use this guide that I follow to measure your rice according to how many cups of cooked rice you need or want. You may just adjust the measurements accordingly if the number you need is not listed here.
What is the ratio of water to rice when using a microwave rice cooker?
Tasty and fluffy cooked rice highly depends on the water you add. You need to make sure that you put the right amount of water in your rice before cooking so that it cooks properly.
If you put too little water, your rice will possibly dry out or even burn. On the other hand, if you put too much water then your rice will become soggy.
Remember that the amount of water you put also depends on what kind of rice you’re going to cook. I have included in the list you’ll find below the measurements I use for white rice and brown rice.
So, here is the ratio and measurements that I follow whenever I cook my rice:
- 1 cup of WHITE rice = 1½ cups of water
- 1 cup of BROWN rice = 2 cups of water
Rice kinds that have long grains will need more water similar to brown rice. On the other hand, rice with short grains will need lesser water just like white rice.
However, you have to bear in mind that this measurement may not apply to all kinds of rice such as basmati rice, sushi rice, or jasmine rice.
So, make sure that you look up how much water your rice needs if you’re not sure about it.
Moreover, if you decide to use broth instead of water, then that works perfectly too! You can still use the measurements I listed above for reference.
How long do you cook rice in a microwave rice cooker?
Approximately, you may need more or less 45 minutes to cook 1 cup of rice in a microwave rice cooker. But this estimated time will surely change depending on different factors.
The kind of rice you’re going to cook will affect how long you need to cook it. Usually, brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
Moreover, you will also need to spend more cooking time if you’re going to cook more rice.
You also need to consider the wattage of the microwave you’re using. If you’re using a microwave with 1,000 watts or higher, you may cook your rice faster. However, if your microwave’s wattage is lesser than that, then you may need to spend more time cooking your rice.
How do you cook rice in a microwave rice cooker?
Cooking your rice in a microwave rice cooker is very simple and easy. All you need to do is make sure you have your rice, microwave rice cooker, and microwave ready.
Before I go into how you should cook your rice properly, I just want to remind you that you need to prepare your rice first before cooking it.
Make sure you have rinsed your rice thoroughly beforehand.
If you do need to soak your rice, then do it the night before.
With that, here are the steps that I do whenever I cook rice in a microwave rice cooker (be mindful of your measurements when you’re doing this – check out what we talked about a while ago about measurements):
- Scoop your rice and put it into your microwave rice cooker.
- Add water or broth to your rice. You may also put a little bit of salt if you want to (I don’t personally do this – but it’s up to you).
- Put the lid on and tightly close it. Make sure that the vent is open so that moisture can escape as it cooks.
- Put your filled microwave rice cooker in the microwave.
- Set your microwave’s heat setting on high and cook your rice for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, lower your microwave’s heat setting to medium or 70% power and heat for 10 to 20 minutes if you’re working with white rice. If you’re cooking brown rice, then you’ll need to heat it for 18 to 20 minutes. (Note: if your microwave has a wattage of less than 1,000, just keep it at high heat – there’s no need to lower it to medium because it might not cook.)
- After the given time, turn off your microwave and leave your rice inside for 5 minutes to let it settle.
- When 5 minutes is over, check if the rice has absorbed all the water.
- If there still is water, let your rice microwave for another 1 to 2 minutes. After that, leave it again inside the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat step 9 as necessary.
- When your rice is fully cooked, take it out from the microwave. Be careful and use oven mitts so you don’t burn yourself.
- Fluff your rice and serve while hot.
And that’s how you can cook your rice using your microwave rice cooker! Simple and easy, right? Now, you don’t have to worry about all the hassle of cooking rice on the stovetop.
No more mess and cleaning, less cooking time, and more time to enjoy your favorite rice!