You see sausages are delicate, some more than others, and defrosting them can be quite time-consuming or seem that way because you will have to watch them so closely so that you don’t oversoak them while defrosting. That is if you are using that method. However, there are quite a few other ways to achieve this with less stress. My suggestion you may ask is just pop them in the microwave.
Before we go any further, I want to set something straight, full disclaimer, I am not an advocate for using the microwave every single day, for every single reason. This is for those of you who like me, tend to be in a hurry, need to multitask, monitor the kids, and do a plethora of other things all at once. Using the microwave to defrost sausages has allowed me to do so much more and to defrost them properly too.
Can you defrost sausages in a microwave?
Yes, you absolutely can. Of course, you may have to consider a few things such as the power of your microwave, the number of sausage links, and the thickness of the sausages you are trying to defrost.
Sausages that are thick and long may take much longer to defrost than others and if you are using a low-power microwave it may also make the process longer.
But in general, microwaving your sausages to defrost them is the fastest way to get it done.
How to Defrost Sausages in the Microwave?
This is quite simple. To defrost your sausages in the microwave all you need to do is follow these simple steps below:
- Place your sausages in the microwave but ensure it is placed in a microwave-safe container.
- Depending on your microwave you might have a defrost option, if you do, select that and set the timer anywhere between 3 and 5 minutes.
- Check to see if sausages are fully thawed. If not, add another 2 to 3 minutes to the timer, then check again, use this method to prevent your sausages from drying out or burning.
Is it safe to defrost sausages in the microwave?
Yes, it is safe to defrost sausages in the microwave. I know you may be concerned about the various theories about using the microwave and its relationship to radiation and cancer. However you should know that many of these theories were never scientifically proven, but if you are still a bit skeptical, use this method only when you need to.
If you were to be concerned about the safety of anything it would be the sausages themselves. To prevent the growth of any bacteria in your sausages ensure that your microwave is clean, along with all your utensils. It is important that you thoroughly cook your sausage immediately after defrosting it in the microwave, if you no longer feel like having it, return it to the freezer for safe storage.
How long does a frozen sausage take to thaw?
Sausages take roughly about 5 minutes to thoroughly thaw or defrost in the microwave. This time is likely to change depending on the type of sausage that you are using. For example, Vienna-type sausages will probably finish defrosting within 2 minutes but sausages made from ground meat and wrapped in casings may take up to 8 minutes to fully defrost in the microwave.
How do you know that the sausage has been fully defrosted in the microwave?
To find out if your sausage is fully thawed you want to check for two things:
- All the sausage links have separated.
- All the sausages feel soft and there is no ice or cold spots on them.
Tips to Defrost Sausage in the Microwave
- Just in case I have missed anything, here are some tips that might be helpful when you are defrosting your sausage in the microwave:
- It is best to use glass or ceramic plates or bowls. Microwavable plastics are also great, but it is best to avoid using the sausage’s plastic packaging unless the original package states that it is microwaveable, metal plates, or foil dishes, in some cases, these have led to a fire.
- Because defrosting sausages and how they defrost can be so unpredictable try using the defrost option or low power mode.
- Keep moving the sausages, flip them, and turn them side to side as well, this is because you will want to ensure that all sides are fully thawed.
- Prevention is key, check to ensure everything is cleaned, and check your microwave to make sure it is properly sanitized.
- Always cover your sausage when microwaving to prevent it from absorbing any external bacteria and to avoid having any juices or liquid spill over into the microwave.
Follow your microwave’s specific instructions.
Defrosting your sausages in the microwave is the fastest way to get the job done. Especially if you are comparing it to the time it would take to defrost in the refrigerator or a bowl of water. As with everything else, ensuring that you keep your area sanitized and bacteria-free is key.
So now that you know this little tidbit of information that will make a possible daily task much easier, will you be giving this method of defrosting sausages a try?
Well if you do, or don’t, share this information with your family and friends. I am sure they will appreciate it.