We all have a knack for cheesy dips, whether it is for your bowl of nachos or a delicious meal for us, the cheese lovers! In this case, gouda cheese is a common love with its sweet yet nutty taste, and to celebrate this profound love, we should know how to handle and melt it effortlessly.
This leads us to the question – how to melt gouda cheese in the microwave?
Before leading to the basic question like how to melt gouda cheese easily and the convenient ways to melt it, one should know what is gouda cheese?
Gouda cheese is rich in fats made up of cow’s milk and consists of 48% of moisture. Moreover, it is somewhat sweet and nutty when it comes to taste.
Back to our main concern – melting gouda cheese in the microwave.
At times we get a perfectly melted cheese, and sometimes it turns out to be lumpy and not up to the mark. In this article, you are going to get that secret to flawlessly melt gouda cheese in the microwave.
Does Gouda Cheese Melt Easily?
It takes optimum heat, the age of the cheese, and the acidic percentage in gouda to let it melt perfectly. The good part is that gouda cheese doesn’t have excessive acid content; rather, it is a type of cheese with lower acid content, so it can melt easily, given that you are not using too much heat.
Moreover, selecting the right gouda cheese has a lot to do with its melting.
If you opt for fresh cheese, often identified by red wax coating, it would take less time to melt than aged gouda cheese. Similarly, if you overheat the cheese, it will attain a stringy form rather than a smooth, creamy texture.
So, make sure you are not using too much heat or the cheese is not too old.
Things You Should Know Before Melting Gouda Cheese In the Microwave
If you desire your gouda cheese to turn into a smooth and evenly melted form, you need to be careful about certain factors. These can help you get your perfectly melted gouda cheese.
- The container or bowl you choose to melt your gouda cheese should be microwave friendly and non-sticky. If not, you will have a hard time cleaning your bowl afterward.
- It is better to lightly grease the insides of the bowl with an oil spray to prevent the cheese from sticking to the walls.
- Don’t forget to let your cheese settle at room temperature around 20 minutes prior.
- Since gouda cheese tends to dry out quickly, you should preferably store it in an airtight container or wrap it in a plastic film.
- Be particular about mildly heating the cheese. Overheating will convert it into a stringy texture because proteins and fats get separated, preventing the creamy form.
- Clean all the wax present on the cheese. It is important because the red wax present on gouda cheese is not edible.
How Do You Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave?
Undoubtedly, melting gouda cheese in the microwave is the most convenient way to melt it. Make sure to chop the cheese into tiny pieces or cubes before you start off with the process of melting. Below are the steps you need to follow to get the best gouda cheese melted out of the microwave.
- Adjust your microwave to 50% power or bring it to medium energy and put a timer of 15 seconds initially. Place your cheese in the microwave and heat it for 15 seconds.
- After 15 seconds, carefully take the bowl out using a glove or a napkin. Stir it thoroughly with a spatula to see the consistency.
- If satisfied with the texture, you should not heat it further. However, if you require it to be a bit more molten, you can heat it for another 15 seconds but not more than that.
- Repeat the process of mixing the cheese, and voila! Your gouda cheese dip is all ready.
How Long Does it Take to Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave?
Ideally, it should take you 15-30 seconds to melt the gouda cheese in the microwave. First, however, you need to set your microwave on 50% power so you can melt it at a mild temperature.
Also, do not exceed this temperature to make it more smooth because if you do so, it will start becoming stringy instead of melting more, and you won’t have ts creamy texture.
Why Does Gouda Cheese Doesn’t Melt Sometimes?
There can be two reasons your gouda cheese is giving you a hard time melting. First, you have either used an aged gouda cheese or you have not chopped it into small pieces. These factors it extremely difficult for the cheese to melt.
Aged cheese (one without red wax over it) doesn’t attain a smooth texture upon melting, rather it will have lumps in it. On the other hand, fresh cheese would turn out t be smoother, and it takes less time to melt as well.
How to Melt Gouda Cheese Evenly in the Microwave?
A properly calibrated oven plays a big role in melting Gouda cheese evenly. Moreover, to make sure it melts evenly, you can chop it up into cubes. While microwaving your gouda cheese, stir your cheese after every interval of 15 seconds to make sure that heat is evenly distributed to the entire bowl.
If your oven is not set at the right energy or you have put your cheese in whole to melt in the microwave, there are high chances your gouda cheese won’t melt in a consistent, smooth paste. Instead, it would be in lumps or a semi-solid form.
All it takes is the right heat and a bit of your attention both while choosing your gouda cheese and melting it too. If you have picked the fresh gouda cheese and you are checking in after 15 seconds while heating it, you will have the perfectly melted gouda cheese.
So, from now on you don’t have to melt your gouda cheese on the stove and struggle with it for long. You can rather go for the microwave option, which is both safe and convenient.
Since you are done reading this article and the next thing you should be doing is grab your gouda cheese and melt it in the microwave in less than a minute. Don’t let any inconvenience stop you from enjoying your gouda cheese dip with nachos today!