Knowing how to melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave can make your desserts taste better. Why use any other chocolate when you can use Hershey’s instead?
On the surface, melting Hershey’s chocolate looks easy. Just use the double boiling melting as everyone says, right?
Double boiling is not only complicated and time-consuming, but it can seize the chocolate. I learned the hard way that using the microwave to melt chocolate is the best way to do it.
But you have to do it correctly to get the best results!
So, let me share with you the perfect way to melt Hershey’s chocolate bar, Hershey’s kisses, and Hershey’s chocolate chips in the microwave.
How do you melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave?
Follow these steps to melt the Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave:
- Unwrap Hershey’s chocolate.
- Chop it into even pieces to allow even melting.
- Put the chocolate in a dry microwave-safe bowl.
- Let it microwave for 30 seconds on medium heat (50% power).
- Take the bowl out and stir the chocolate with a dry spoon or spatula.
- Microwave it for 10-20 seconds intervals until the chocolate is almost melted.
- Then take out the bowl from the microwave and keep stirring until it is fully melted.
Does the process look too complicated? Well, it is pretty simple.
All you need to remember is not to use wet utensils. Because if the bowl or the spatula has water droplets then it can seize the chocolate. Furthermore, adding water can make the chocolate lumpy and unmanageable.
Another thing to remember is to take the chocolate out of the microwave before it has fully melted. After taking it out, stir it, and the residual heat will melt the remaining chocolate.
The reason behind not letting the chocolate melt fully is simple. Leaving the chocolate in the microwave for too long can overheat and burn it.
Lastly, chopping the Hershey’s chocolate bar for microwaving can fasten the process. The smaller chunks are easier to melt than the whole bar.
How do you melt Hershey’s chocolate kisses in the microwave?
To melt the Hershey’s chocolate kisses in the microwave:
- Start by unwrapping the kisses.
- Place them in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 15 seconds intervals on a low heat setting.
- Keep stirring the chocolate in between to help the chocolate melt evenly.
Does this process look similar to how we melted Hershey’s chocolate bars? Well, it is kind of different.
Hershey’s chocolate bar and Hershey’s kisses have different melting points. So, the kisses take shorter to melt in the microwave. Hence, you would have to be way quicker.
When you see that the kisses have almost melted, take them out of the microwave and let the residual heat do its magic.
How do you melt Hershey’s chocolate chips in the microwave?
To melt the Hershey’s chocolate chips:
- Place the required amount of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave it for 30 seconds intervals on a high heat setting.
- After each interval, take out the bowl and stir the chocolate.
Did you notice anything different here?
Yes, unlike the Hershey’s chocolate bar or Hershey’s kisses, the chocolate chips need more heat to melt. And this is why you would need to microwave them on a higher heat setting for 30 seconds instead of a low-medium setting for 15 seconds.
However, the rest of the process is still the same. Only use dry utensils and take out the chocolate chips from the microwave before they are fully melted.
Can you melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave?
Yes, you can melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave if you follow the proper guidelines. It is easier and safer than melting the chocolate using the double boiler method.
So, what do the proper guidelines mean?
It means to take out the chocolate from the microwave before it has completely melted. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.
But then, how will you finish the melting process? Well, you do not have to do anything major. Just keep stirring the chocolate, and the residual heat will melt the chocolate.
Another thing that can ruin the chocolate melting process is water vapors. This is why I do not recommend double boiling for melting the chocolate. If it is done improperly, the water vapor can get in the chocolate and seize it.
How long does it take to melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave?
It takes around 2 minutes on the medium setting for the Hershey’s chocolate to melt in the microwave. However, several factors can change the melting time of the chocolate, such as the microwave wattage, the size of the chocolate, the consistency of the chocolate, etc.
A Hershey’s chocolate bar takes around 2 minutes to melt in the microwave fully. However, you have to keep stirring the chocolate in between the intervals to help it melt faster.
If you are using a low-wattage microwave, it can slow down the melting process. Similarly, a high-wattage microwave will be able to melt Hershey’s chocolate faster than 2 minutes.
Lastly, different Hershey’s chocolate bars have different melting times. For example, Hershey’s dark chocolate bar melts the fastest. Hershey’s milk chocolate melts slower than dark chocolate bars. And the white chocolate bar takes the longest to melt.
How do you know when Hershey’s chocolate is done melting in the microwave?
When Hershey’s chocolate is done melting in the microwave, the most obvious sign would be its temperature. According to Hershey’s, the Hershey chocolate bar melts at 75 °F.
The easiest way to check the temperature of the chocolate is using a food-grade thermometer. During the microwave intervals, use the food-grade thermometer. And when the temperature reaches 75 °F stops the process.
If you do not have a food-grade thermometer, you can check the state of the chocolate by its texture. Instead of looking for fully melted liquid chocolate, stop the process when Hershey’s chocolate has a few small solid chocolate chunks left.
You can melt these chunks by stirring the chocolate at room temperature. But leaving it in the microwave any longer would burn the chocolate.
Why is Hershey’s chocolate not melting properly?
The most common reason the chocolate might not be melting properly is water. If the utensil or the bowl you used had water droplets, it might have caused the chocolate to seize.
This is why you should always ensure that all tools are dry. Furthermore, avoid covering the bowl as it causes condensation. And the water vapor can mix with the chocolate and ruin the melting process.
Tips to Melt Hershey’s Chocolate in the Microwave
Melting Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave seems like an easy task. But several things can go wrong during the process.
Follow these tips to ensure perfect Hershey’s chocolate every time.
- No matter which utensils you are using, ensure that they are dry. Even a small amount of water can seize the chocolate.
- Microwave chocolate for a short interval of time. Longer heat exposure can burn the chocolate.
- Take out the Hershey’s chocolate from the microwave before it is melted completely. The residual heat will melt it completely.
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces to ensure even melting.
- Use a microwave-safe glass bowl. Glass heats up quicker and allows the chocolate to melt faster.
- Do not cover the bowl with anything. It can cause condensation and seize the chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula between the intervals to melt it evenly.
- If you want to thin out the chocolate, use milk or cream instead of water.
Now you know how to melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave. But before you start melting the chocolate, remember that adding water can be detrimental to the process.
So, grab your dry utensils and melt Hershey’s chocolate in the microwave.