CAN YOU MICROWAVE CORN ON THE COB TO MAKE POPCORN (IS IT POSSIBLE?)
It’s movie night! You got Netflix and your comfy couches. Your friends are coming over. But something is missing… Of course, POPCORN! You got some corn on the cob and your trusty microwave, but you’re not sure what to do with it. So, you wonder: can you microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn?
Well, it’s a good thing you asked! I’ve also wondered the same thing before and I tried it out.
After a lot of un-popped kernels, corn husks in the bin, frustrated tears, and several more attempts, I finally was able to microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn!
With that, this article will tell you everything you need to know if you want to microwave your corn on the cob to make popcorn!
It’s like popcorn on a stick!
So, let’s not wait for movie night to start. Get those corns ready in no time!
Can you microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn?
Yes! You can microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn. You just need to make sure that your corn is completely dried and taken out of its husk so that it can pop.
Whether you decide to make popcorn using the corn kernels alone or the whole corn (yes, you can let the kernels pop while it’s still on the cob!), your microwave can help you out.
The secret is to let your corn be dried because that’s the only way it’s going to turn into popcorn.
Don’t worry because as you read on, you’ll see how you can do this properly and easily.
Is it safe to microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn?
Yes! It is very safe to microwave your corn on the cob to make popcorn. All you have to do is make sure you follow the right steps on preparing and microwaving it so that it pops perfectly.
Using your microwave is one of the easiest and fastest ways to make popcorn from your corn on the cob (that is considering that you haven’t thought of buying the dried kernels already).
It may take a little bit more time if you still need to dry and prepare your corn on the cob before turning it into popcorn. But it’s still a pretty convenient method to do especially if you don’t have any dried kernels at hand (and you want to have popcorn at that very moment).
How long do you microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn?
Technically, all you need is about 4 minutes to microwave your corn on the cob to make popcorn. However, you’ll need to add an extra 1 hour if you still need to dry your corn before making popcorn out of it.
Microwaving your corn on the cob to make popcorn is pretty quick and easy to do. It’s very similar to how you make popcorn from the dried corn kernels that you bought at your local grocery.
Of course, if you still need to dry your corn on the cob, then you have to expect to wait for a little bit more time before you can enjoy your delightful popcorn.
Remember that you cannot skip the drying process because your corn will NOT pop if it’s not dry (that means no popcorn for you).
You also need to consider how strong your microwave is. If it has a high wattage, then you may have your popcorn within 4 minutes.
But if your microwave has a lower wattage, then you may also need to add more time microwaving your corn on the cob.
Additionally, the number of corns in the cob that you want to turn into popcorn will also affect how long you need to cook them. If you’re working with just one, then you’ll be done in no time.
But if you’ll be making a lot, of course, you’ll need to spend more time in the kitchen with your microwave.
How do dry corn on the cob to make popcorn using a microwave?
There are several ways that you can use to dry your corn on the cob to make popcorn. However, I usually do the microwaving method whenever I need to do the drying process (because microwaves are our friends when time is not).
So, here are the steps that I do to dry my corn on the cob using my microwave:
- Choose an ear of corn with a dry husk and a papery texture. Make sure that its kernels are also hard.
- Remove the husk from the corn. Pat the corn dry using a paper towel if necessary.
- Put your ear of corn in the microwave.
- Set the microwave to its lowest heat setting.
- Let your ear of corn dry in the microwave for 1 hour.
- Check and turn your corn every 5 minutes so that it dries evenly. Be careful not to burn yourself while doing so.
- After 1 hour, check your corn if it is completely dried already.
- Microwave for another 5 minutes if the corn still needs to be dried further. Repeat as necessary.
- Remove your ear of corn from the microwave once it is fully dried.
How do you microwave corn on the cob to make popcorn?
Microwaving corn on the cob to make popcorn is pretty simple and easy to follow. All you need to do is prepare your dried ear of corn and a brown paper bag (just so you know the color doesn’t matter, but the texture and material do).
So, these are the steps that I follow to make popcorn from my corn on the cob using a microwave:
- Make sure your ear of corn is completely dried so that it pops (take a look at the previous subheading to know how to dry your corn on the cob).
- Pat your ear of corn dry using a paper towel if you notice any moisture on it. If it’s good, then proceed to the next step.
- Put your dried ear of corn inside a brown paper bag. Make sure that the bag is big enough to be folded close with your corn inside it.
- Fold the opening of the paper bag at least 2 times. Make sure that it is closed securely.
- Put the paper bag with the corn in the microwave.
- Set your microwave to 50% to 75% power. If this is not available, then set its setting to high.
- Let your ear of corn microwave for 4 minutes.
- Repeat step 7 until the popping of corn kernels lasts for 2 seconds between pops.
- Once done, remove the paper bag from the microwave.
- Transfer your popcorn on the cob to a serving plate and pour the remaining separated popcorn kernels into a bowl.
- Season with your desired seasonings and enjoy!
How to properly store popcorn from microwaved corn on the cob?
All you need is an airtight container or a resealable bag to properly store your popcorn on the cob! Yes, it’s that easy.
If you do find yourself with too much popcorn on the cob, then you need to first remove all the popcorn kernels from the cob to make it easier to store.
After that, just grab an airtight container or a resealable bag and put your popcorn inside.
Make sure that it is filled up or that there is very little air inside. Air can make your popcorns go stale and soft. It will lose the crunchy texture that you enjoy (unless you do like soft popcorns though.)
Also, remember that you should NOT refrigerate your popcorns. Refrigerating popcorns will make them moist and will destroy their crunchy texture. It’s better to keep your popcorns at room temperature.
If you do see that you made too many popcorns, then I suggest that you do NOT season all of them.
Unseasoned popcorns that are stored properly last longer than seasoned ones. You may still enjoy your leftover unseasoned popcorns for about 1 week.
There you have all the things you need to know when microwaving corn on the cob to make popcorn. Now that you know how to dry and cook them properly, movie nights can perfectly go as planned.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get popping!