If you’re like most people, you’ve probably heard that you’re not supposed to microwave wax paper. But is that true? Can you microwave wax paper?
Well, the short answer is yes – you can microwave wax paper. But there are a few things you need to know first.
First of all, it’s important to understand that wax paper is not the same thing as parchment paper. Parchment paper is designed to withstand high temperatures, while the wax paper is not. So if you try to microwave wax paper, it may start to melt and smoke if you do it incorrectly.
That said if you’re careful and use low temperatures, microwaving wax paper is generally safe. In fact, some people actually use it to cover food in the microwave in order to prevent splatters.
Just be sure to avoid using too much wax paper in the microwave at once, and always follow the instructions provided by your specific appliance. Furthermore, wax paper isn’t always compatible with every model of microwave.
So can you microwave wax paper? The answer is yes, but be careful and follow keep all the information I’ll be sharing in this article in mind.
Can You Heat Wax Paper?
Yes, you can heat wax paper keeping in mind the right amount of heat. Wax papers have a thin coating of wax on them, so we need to be mindful of the melting point of the wax. Wax, generally, has a low melting point so it is recommended not to overheat it.
Moreover, since it is paper after all, if you keep on heating beyond its combustion point, the paper is most likely to burn and catch fire. Therefore, you need to take care of the safety measures while you are heating the wax paper.
Can you microwave wax paper Safely?
You can microwave the wax paper and the safety is in your own hands. Being a paper product it is completely safe to use wax paper without worrying about the quality of food.
However, you need to take care of a few things. These can be not heating it too much, making sure to fold the edges of the wax paper so t doesn’t blow away, and not letting the paraffin wax coat melt down from the wax paper.
Also, it is better to keep an eye on your food while your microwaving it with wax paper, or even better to stop the heat and check it after an interval so you erase all the chances of wax paper catching fire.
How Long Can you microwave wax paper?
Ideally, you should be heating your food with wax paper for about 2-3 minutes. Beware, you don’t have to let the wax paper reach its combustion point or it will burn and most probably catch fire which is extremely dangerous.
Fats and sugars heat up more quickly than food having water-based contents. Consequently, they reach a high temperature in less time than food usually does.
Therefore, one should not intensely heat food having sugary or fatty content that too with a wax paper. This would prevent the wax paper from melting or burning since they have a rapid rise in the temperature.
Tips to Microwave Wax Paper
Wax paper is a great addition to your baking routine. It prevents the substance to stick to the floor of the container. Moreover, you can substitute clear plastic films with wax papers to cover leftovers.
Wax paper is a safer and healthier option than any material made up of plastic. However, you need to be careful while microwaving the wax paper. Here are some tips to microwave food safely with wax paper.
- The most important tip is not to compromise on the quality of the wax paper. It is important to ensure the quality so in case the wax melts into your food, you don’t have to discard your food.
- If you want to skip the sticky cleaning mess, you should use wax paper as a lining. Whether you are baking something or grilling your chicken and veggies, you should use a wax paper lining to prevent the sticking of food to the surface.
- It is best to use wax papers with water-based foods. Since food with excessive oily content won’t stick to the container, you don’t need to have a lining for it.
- Make sure to cover the food completely with wax paper to avoid splatter all around the microwave. You can take a bigger wax paper so you can turn the edges around the corners of the container to avoid it.
- Wax paper is a good addition if you want to defrost food in the microwave. Wax paper will trap heat and would help defrost food without sticking over it. Heat-trapping quality of the wax paper will defrost food evenly given that it is completely covered by the paper.
Does Wax Paper melt in Microwave?
Whether wax melts or not in a microwave is in your control. If you are not heating it more than it should which is ideally 2-3 minutes, it won’t melt. Otherwise, the wax layer would start melting from the paper into your food.
You should keep in mind that intense heating can be troublesome with wax paper. Moreover, you would not want to eat food having melted wax in it. Therefore, you need to be particular about the time for heating.
However, you should have a quality food-grade wax paper so even if the wax melts, your food is edible and it is not a problem. If you compromise on the quality, you might end up discarding your entire meal which would not save you any money for sure.
What is the difference between wax paper and baking paper?
Some people might confuse wax paper with baking paper. However, they are not the same.
Although both look alike, the coatings on these papers are different due to their purposes. The baking paper has a silicon layer on it to endure high temperatures while baking so it doesn’t melt.
On the other hand, the wax paper has a wax layer and it is more like parchment paper. Thus, you can’t alter these two because of their different making.
Pros of using a wax paper
The healthier the better! Although using wax paper in the microwave requires serious precautions and attention, it is a healthier option to switch to.
Wax paper has various benefits and is a safer option since it doesn’t contain plastic. Below are some benefits that can convince you to switch to wax paper once and for all.
- Wax paper is a healthier alternative to plastic wrap for freezing your food. You can use it as a freezer paper for freezing food for as long as you want.
- You can start using wax paper to cover your leftovers rather than a plastic film. Microwaving food with plastic wrap is dangerous for your health. On the other hand, wax paper has no such disadvantage.
- You can cover gravies with wax paper to avoid splatter so you don’t have to clean up your microwave just after mere heating.
- Whether you are grilling or baking a mug cake, wax paper is convenient to use and prevents the sticking of the food to the surface. The same goes for defrosting as well.
- Here’s to a stress-free cleaning session after cooking. Using wax paper prevents sticking or splattering which makes it easy to clean up and do the dishes after cooking.
The Bottom Line
It is always better to e safe than to be sorry. Wax papers can be heated in the microwave, however, you need to be strict about certain things. These include the time of heating and making sure that the food doesn’t have excessive fat or sugar in it.
Nonetheless, it is better to switch from plastic to paper for the sake of the environment. Wax paper is a healthier option to either store food or as a protective layer while microwaving your food.
So, we recommend you to switch to paper layers instead of plastic layers, be it wax paper for the microwave or baking paper for super hot baking ovens. Don’t forget to enjoy a healthy lifestyle.