I love corn, especially fresh corn straight from the garden. Growing up, we would have a garden, and my dad would plant rows of corn. We would wait all summer long for the corn to ripen, and then we would microwave the corn and eat it right off the cob. It was so delicious!
Now that I’m an adult and live in a different state, I no longer have a garden. But that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy corn. I buy canned corn in the winter and early spring when fresh corn is unavailable and cook it in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven.
In this article, I’ll go over exactly how to cook canned corn from a can so you can enjoy it anytime.
But before I get to that, there are a few answers I’ll share to questions you might be asking:
Do you have to cook canned corn?
You don’t have to cook canned corn because it is already cooked and preserved in the can. So you can eat them directly from the can or use them to make salads without even needing to heat them.
However, I like to cook fresh corn with some butter and seasonings to enhance the flavor. And since you’re reading this, you most likely prefer to have your canned corn cooked in the microwave, oven, or stove.
Can you microwave canned corn?
Yes, you can cook canned corn in the microwave! It is considered the faster method for cooking canned corn. So while corn is already cooked, you can easily cook up a can of corn in the microwave for about 3 minutes.
Be careful, though, because a few different factors can affect the time it requires to cook tinned sweetcorn. I’ll go over all the factors below, so you cook canned sweet corn the right way in the microwave.
Do you drain canned corn before microwaving?
Yes, you should drain canned corn before microwaving it. Of course, you can cook canned corn without draining, but most canned corn has a lot of added salts and sugar you don’t need to be consuming.
Furthermore, I wouldn’t recommend cooking tinned sweetcorn with un-drained liquid because you’ll have a soggy mess or corn soup that lacks the flavor you desire.
So to cook corn, you should drain it and cook it in the microwave with butter and your preferred seasonings.
Is it safe to cook canned corn in the microwave?
Cooking canned corn in the microwave is considered perfectly safe if you cook it for the recommended times and in a microwave-safe dish.
If you decide not to or accidentally put the tin of sweet corn in the microwave for too long or cook it in a container that is not microwave-safe, then you run the risk of having an unsafe experience with the microwave.
Apart from this, canned sweet corn is perfectly safe to cook in the microwave if you cook it for the recommended times and cook it in a microwave-safe dish.
So let’s get into exactly how to microwave canned corn.
How to cook canned corn in the microwave?
To cook canned corn in a microwave, drain the corn and remove it from the tin. Then, place it in a microwave-safe dish and nuke it for 3-4 minutes on high. Before microwaving canned corn, add some butter and your favorite seasonings for maximum flavor!
For a more detailed step-by-step guide, you can follow these instructions:
Things you’ll need:
- A can opener
- Microwave-safe dish
- Seasonings of your choice
Follow these steps:
- Open up the can and drain the liquid.
- Rinse the corn under cold water and place the drained canned corn in a microwave-safe dish.
- Season to your liking with salt and pepper, then stir.
- Cover the dish with a paper towel so that all the corn doesn’t lose all its moisture.
- Microwave the canned corn for 3-4 minutes on high until it is cooked.
- Once done, add the desired amount of butter. The more you add, the better it will taste!
Now that we’ve gone over how to cook corn in the microwave, let’s move on to cooking canned corn on the stove and oven.
How to cook canned corn on the stove
Cooking canned corn on the stove may require a bit more work than microwaving it, but it yields far better results in some situations. For example, some dishes may require adding corn, which isn’t always something you can do with a microwave. Furthermore, you can cook an unlimited amount of corn in a pot with butter and seasonings.
What you will need:
- A can of corn
- Seasoning and Butter
To cook can corn on the stove, follow these instructions:
- Open the canned corn and drain around half of the liquid.
- Add the remaining liquid and the corn to a saucepan.
- Fill with fresh water to reduce the salt and sugar present in the corn juices.
- Season the corn with everything you prefer(pepper, salt, parsley, black pepper).
- Cook the corn on medium until the liquid starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for another 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- After 2-3 minutes, remove from the heat and serve.
How to cook canned corn in the oven
Making canned corn in the oven is another great way to cook canned sweet corn. However, it does take much longer than microwaving canned corn. For that reason, you have to take into account what time of day it is and how hungry you are before deciding to cook canned corn in the oven or not.
The ideal situation for cooking canned sweet corn in the oven will be if your recipe calls for it or if you want roasted canned corn. You’ll also need to ensure plenty of time and patience to wait.
What you will need:
To cook canned corn in the oven, follow these steps:
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and make sure that you have a rack in the center of the oven as that’s what you’ll be using.
- Open up your can and dump the drained liquid at the bottom.
- Rinse the canned corn under cold water and place it in a bowl.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil to a single 15 oz can of sweet corn.
- Season it with all your favorite spices and fresh herbs.
- Mix the ingredients.
- If using an oven-safe dish, you can just pour the seasoned corn and olive oil in, but if you are using the baking sheet, you’ll need to line it with aluminum foil first then spread the corn on it.
- Make sure the corn is laid out in a single layer.
- Roast the corn for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once it has reached your desired crunchiness, and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes to cool. Serve.
Best Way to Cook Canned Corn
The best way to cook canned corn is on the stove. This is because you can cook more than one can at a time, and it takes less time than cooking canned sweet corn in the oven. However, if time is the most important factor or you are only cooking a single can of corn, then using the microwave is the fastest and most convenient way.
Canned corn is pretty versatile, but microwaving canned corn has its limitations, especially since you cannot cook an unlimited amount of canned corn in the microwave.
Usually, when you cook canned corn in the oven, it’s for a specific dish or recipe. If you don’t need to cook sweet corn from a tin in the microwave for a particular dish, we’d suggest sticking to microwaving canned corn and cooking canned standard sweet corn on the stove.
How to season canned corn?
There are a variety of seasonings you can use on canned corn to give it extra flavor. Some popular options include:
- Chilli Powder
All of the seasonings above are things you can add to canned corn to give it extra flavor. Some are pretty standard, while others are more for specific dishes or recipes where canned corn is being used.
If you’re looking to cook canned sweet corn, the best way to season it is with salt and butter. This combination is good enough for most people and ensures every kernel of canned sweet corn gets seasoned perfectly.
How long to microwave canned corn?
You should microwave canned corn for 2-3 minutes.
Can I cook multiple tinned sweet corn at the same time?
You can cook multiple cans of corn at the same time, but it will take longer. We suggest cooking no more than 2-3 cans at a time.
There are plenty of ways to cook it when it comes to canned corn. We’ve shown you three methods – microwaving, cooking on the stove, and cooking in the oven. Each method has its benefits and drawbacks, so choosing the right one for your needs is important.
We’ve also shared a few tips on how to season canned corn for extra flavor. With these tips, you’ll be able to cook up some delicious canned corn that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
So what are you waiting for? Get cookin’!