If you love to eat eggs for breakfast, you should learn how to microwave eggs.
I have always been a fan of egg breakfast. I can’t get enough of it, whether fried eggs with toast or scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese.
However, making different sorts of eggs on the stovetop requires multiple utensils—for example, a frying pan for fried eggs and a deep pan for poached eggs. But I have neither space nor money for various utensils.
That’s when I realized that microwaving eggs could be the solution. And I started experimenting.
After multiple failed attempts, I finally came up with the perfect recipe for making fried, poached, and scrambled eggs in the microwave.
So, let’s get started.
Can you microwave eggs?
Yes, you can cook eggs in the microwave. Microwaving eggs is much easier and faster than doing it on the stovetop. Not to mention that you can make almost every type of egg in the microwave.
To cook an egg, it needs to reach up to 160° F. Sa microwave heats up more than that, you can quickly cook eggs in the microwave.
Unlike a stovetop, when you are microwaving an egg, you only need a bowl. You can make almost all types of eggs using only one bowl. This makes microwaving eggs more convenient than any other method.
How do you make fried eggs in the microwave?
To microwave fried eggs:
- Crack one egg in a greased microwave-safe bowl.
- Pierce the egg yolk with a sharp object. This will prevent the egg yolk from bursting in the microwave.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid.
- Microwave the egg for 30 seconds on high heat.
- After 30 seconds, let the egg sit in the microwave.
- If the egg is still not done, keep microwaving it for 15-20 seconds until it is entirely done.
Microwaving fried eggs is much easier than using a frying pan. However, the one thing that you should never forget is piercing the egg yolk.
If you do not pierce the egg yolk before microwaving it, there is a higher chance that the egg yolk will burst.
How do you make egg poached in the microwave?
To make poached eggs in the microwave:
- Crack one egg in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Fill the water with ⅓ cup of water. Or use as much water as is needed to cover the egg completely.
- Now add a splash of distilled vinegar to the water.
- Microwave the egg for 30 seconds on a medium heat setting.
- After the microwave interval is over, take out the egg and check if it is done.
- If the egg is not done yet, microwave it again for 10-second intervals until you are satisfied.
Wait, does microwaving a poached egg look like a complex process? Well, it is easy if you remember one crucial step.
You should only microwave one egg per bowl. If you want to make poached eggs for a crowd, use multiple bowls.
Another thing to remember is to add enough water to cover the egg completely.
How do you make scrambled eggs in the microwave?
To make scrambled eggs in the microwave:
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl.
- Crack an egg in a separate bowl. Whisk it well, and add salt, pepper, and a splash of milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the microwave-safe greased bowl.
- Microwave the egg for 30 seconds on 70% heat.
- After 30 seconds, take out the egg and mix it well.
- Microwave it again 30 seconds intervals and keep mixing the egg between the intervals.
- Once the egg is done, serve it on a plate with toasted bread.
Microwaving scrambled eggs is much easier than poaching eggs in the microwave. The only thing to remember is to keep mixing the egg between the intervals. By stirring the egg, you get fluffy scrambled eggs.
You can make 1-3 scrambled eggs in one bowl, unlike poached eggs. Just ensure that the bowl is big enough to contain the eggs.
Is it safe to microwave eggs?
Yes, it is safe to microwave eggs as long as you follow the proper instructions.
Did you see the TikTok videos of eggs exploding in the microwave? If yes, then it is normal for you to be worried.
My secret to always microwaving eggs safely is simple. Just crack the egg before microwaving it. This way, the heat from the microwave will not heat the egg and make it explode.
You should also puncture the egg yolk. Doing this also decreases the chances of the egg exploding in the microwave.
How long does it take to microwave eggs?
The amount of time it takes to microwave eggs depends on the number of eggs, the type method, and the microwave wattage.
For example, you can fry an egg in the microwave for 50 seconds to 1 minute or 20 seconds. One poached egg takes 30-50 seconds, and one scrambled egg takes 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds in the microwave.
Cooking different types of eggs on the stovetop takes different lengths of time. Similarly, microwaving different kinds of eggs also takes different lengths of time as well.
The only way to know how long it will take to microwave eggs is by looking at the instructions.
How do you know when an egg is done microwaving?
When an egg is done microwaving, the most obvious sign would be its texture. You can also determine the doneness of an egg by its internal temperature. A fully cooked egg has a 160° F internal temperature.
Keep a food-grade thermometer by your side when microwaving eggs. In Between, each interval checks the internal temperature. And once the temperature reaches 160° F, turn off the microwave.
If you do not have a food-grade thermometer, just look at the state of the egg. The uncooked egg has a liquidy and almost slime-like texture. On the other hand, the cooked egg is firm but tender.
Tips to Microwave Eggs
Microwaving eggs in the microwave is not a complex process. However, this process consists of multiple steps and has a margin of error.
So, if you are microwaving any sort of eggs, the following tips will help you.
- Never put an uncracked egg in the microwave. The heat from the microwave increases the pressure in the egg and can cause it to burst.
- Always use microwave-safe bowls to microwave eggs.
- If you make scrambled or fried eggs in the microwave, grease the bowl well. The oil will prevent the eggs from sticking to the bowl.
- When making poached eggs in the microwave, ensure the water fully covers the egg in the bowl.
- Do not try to poach more than one egg in one bowl. The eggs will mix, and you will have a huge mess.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you microwave an egg without it exploding?
The main reason why eggs burst in the microwave is simple. The heat from the microwave superheats the liquid in the egg. And it causes the eggs to burst.
The easiest way to microwave eggs without them exploding is by cracking the eggs before microwaving them.
Another great tip is to puncture the egg yolk before microwaving it. This also prevents the egg from exploding.
How long does it take to microwave 2 eggs?
The time it takes to microwave 2 eggs usually depends on the process and microwave wattage. But in general, you can microwave 2 eggs within 2 minutes.
The main factor that affects the length of microwaving time is the cooking process. For example, 2 scrambled eggs take different times to microwave than 2 fried eggs.
Congratulations, now you know how to microwave eggs. But never forget that microwaving different types of eggs requires different processes. However, one common thing is never to microwave uncracked eggs.
So, what are you waiting for? Turn on the microwave and start cooking eggs.