Boiled eggs are a popular breakfast food. They are also usually the easiest to make since all you need is an egg and some water. But if you have a busy morning, or want to save time in the kitchen, there’s no shame in cooking your eggs with a microwave! We also know that not everyone knows how to use the microwave to prevent their eggs from exploding. To help you avoid this dilemma, we have created this guide on how to make boiled eggs in the microwave!
Can you microwave eggs to make boiled eggs?
Yes, you can make hard boiled eggs in the microwave without any problems if you follow the right steps. The fact is that microwaving boiled eggs typically requires less effort than cooking them on the stovetop. Moreover, they are just as healthy as they would be if you boiled them on the stove.
And by boiling your eggs in the microwave you won’t need a pot or a pan to cook the eggs, so it’s great for those who are feeling a little lazy!
However, most people don’t know how to use a microwave and have to clean up a nasty mess by trying to do so. But thankfully you’ve found this article and by the end, you shouldn’t ever make a mess microwaving your eggs in the future.
Is it healthy to boil eggs in the microwave?
Yes, boiling eggs in the microwave is a healthy choice depending on how long you cook them and the way they are cooked. When you boil an egg in the microwave you are essentially maximizing the nutritional value of the eggs. This benefit happens because the eggs are exposed to heat for a shorter time.
So in general microwaved boiled eggs are generally healthier than fried or scrambled eggs. Moreover, cooking eggs in the microwave has similar nutritional benefits to boiling natural, organic eggs from other techniques. So while some nutrients can be lost or diminished when cooking certain foods in a microwave, but not with boiling eggs.
Microwaving is safe and simple to use for boiling eggs.
Why is it bad to microwave eggs?
The most common reason why it is bad to microwave an egg is because the egg can explode and cause a mess or even serious facial injuries! Whenever an egg is heated up in a microwave, pressure builds up inside the egg which can be dangerous, especially if it has an intact shell. And even if you’ve pricked the shell of the egg, there’s still a chance of it exploding.
So if you do decide to microwave eggs, make sure you step away from the microwave and follow the instructions carefully. There are a few things that you can do to make eggs in a microwave without ever having to worry about them exploding as you’ll see later on.
How do you make boiled eggs in the microwave?
There are two different ways to cook your hard-boiled egg with a microwave: either by putting it inside of a microwavable container for poached eggs or without one if you want to do scrambled eggs!
How to make Microwaved Poached Eggs
If you want to use a microwavable container to make poached eggs, follow these directions:
- Crack an egg and pour the contents into a microwavable safe bowl.
- Add about 1/3 cup of water and a bit of white vinegar so that the egg is completely covered in water.
- Cover the bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on high.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave after 30 seconds and check for doneness by gently poking the egg with your finger.
- If you don’t think the egg is done cooking then you can let it cook for another 10 seconds. Keep increasing the cooking time by 10-second increments until the egg reaches your desired doneness.
- Once it is done, you can go ahead and remove the egg from the bowl with water and season to your tastes.
How to make Microwaved Scrambled Eggs
To make scrambled eggs in a microwave follow these directions:
- Lightly grease a microwavable bowl or dish of your choice.
- Crack an egg and pour the contents into a microwavable safe bowl.
- Whisk the eggs together with a fork until they are combined.
- Season the eggs as desired and whisk them again to blend in the seasoning.
- Microwave the eggs for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds remove from the microwave and use the fork to scramble the eggs again bringing the content inwards.
- Stick them back in the microwave and let them cook for another 20 seconds.
- Then check for doneness after the 20 seconds are up. If they are not done to your liking you can put them back in on 10-20 second intervals until done.
How to make Whole Boiled Eggs in a Microwave
Making hard boiled eggs in the microwave is hard to do because they can become too hot and this can be dangerous. The wattage of microwaves varies, so some cook at different speeds than others. Some microwaves also heat up unevenly because they lack a turntable which means that your egg will not cook evenly.
But to avoid any issues for the most part just follow these steps:
- Get a large bowl and fill it with enough water to submerge your eggs with at least 1 inch of water above the egg.
- Add some salt to the water and prick the bottom of the egg with a pin. We recommend giving it about 2-3 pricks to be on the safe side.
- Gently place your egg into the bowl and into the microwave and let it run for 3-4 minutes if you want soft-boiled eggs. If you want hard-boiled eggs, you should let them cook for another 3 minutes after running them the first time.
- Never cook your eggs for more than 6 minutes straight to prevent them from exploding. For the best results, we recommend cooking them in two 3 minute periods.
- Once done let the eggs sit for about 1 minute before taking them out with tongs or a spoon.
- Run them under cold water and crack the shell.
How long do you microwave a raw egg?
You should microwave a raw egg for about 30 seconds if you want poached eggs or scrambled eggs. While you should microwave them for 3-4 minutes for soft boiled eggs or 6 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
Can you cook whole eggs in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook whole eggs in the microwave if you want hard-boiled, poached eggs, or scrambled eggs. But if you cook them for too long they will explode in the microwave, so always err on the side of caution and cook your eggs in intervals instead.
Is it safe to make hard boiled eggs in the microwave?
Yes, but only if you’re using a food-grade container that is specifically made for cooking with microwaves! Pricking your egg ahead of time will also help prevent any sort of explosion or mess from occurring when they are being cooked. There’s no way to know how long you should cook them without having another piece of measuring equipment other than simply looking at their shells after they have been taken out so use caution while doing this method.
Why does salt prevent eggs from exploding in microwave?
The salt acts as an insulator against heat so adding some into your boiling water before placing raw or uncooked eggs into it will prevent them from exploding when they’re cooked!
When an egg is microwaved, the shells are completely permeable to microwaves, causing the yolk and egg white to get very hot which causing an increase in internal pressure until it explodes. The addition of salt to the water when microwaving an egg prevents it from getting too hot. This happens because salt ions act as a partial barrier to microwaves. Furthermore, saltwater takes a while longer to heat up than normal water. With both of these factors combined, the egg will be less likely to explode once microwaved in saltwater.
How do you clean a microwave after an egg explodes?
The best way to clean up the mess that’s left behind by an exploded egg is with some vinegar and baking soda: mix in equal parts of each ingredient into a bowl; add water until it forms a paste; use this mixture to scrub your microwave. Once you’ve finished doing this, wipe down everything with warm soapy water then once more with a clean towel before letting dry completely.
How to get rid of the egg smell in a microwave?
To get rid of the egg smell in a microwave, you need to use a mixture with 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Make the mixture in a microwavable bowl and set it in the microwave on high heat for 5 minutes. Once the mixture is heated it will evaporate and start eliminating the odors that are left behind from the eggs.
Once that is done, you can then clean the microwave with soap and water using a towel.
Microwaving eggs is a great option when you don’t have a stove or access to an oven. But it can be difficult knowing how long they should cook for and what method is the safest. If you follow these simple steps, however, there’s no chance that your eggs will explode!
Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!