If you know how to cook turkey bacon in the microwave, it can save you time. I thought the best way to cook it was to fry it, but it isn’t.
Not only cooking turkey bacon in a pan takes more time and effort. But you end up with more cookware to clean.
After years of thinking the microwave unevenly cooks turkey bacon, I finally tried it myself. And it was terrific. I don’t think I will ever cook bacon in a pan again.
Let me explain.
I used one plate, and a paper towel, so fewer dishes were to wash. And it took even less time than a regular pan.
However, if I am being honest, microwaving turkey bacon for the first few times did not go well. But luckily, I have experimented a couple of times to come up with the perfect method. So, you only have to follow my lead.
Let’s get started.
Can you microwave turkey bacon in the microwave?
Yes, you can microwave turkey bacon in the microwave. And you should! I recommend cooking turkey bacon in the microwave instead of a fryer or other fancy equipment is simple.
But what is the reason behind this?
Well, Most people have a microwave at home. Not only that, but cooking turkey bacon in the microwave is also easier than cooking it in a pan.
You also use an oven for cooking turkey bacon. But some people find it difficult to operate the oven. And don’t forget how ovens always need to be preheated. You will never have to worry about preheating with a microwave.
How do you cook turkey bacon in the microwave?
- Line a microwave-safe dish with a paper towel to cook the turkey bacon in the microwave.
- Next, place the turkey bacon slices in a single layer on the plate. Now put the plate in the microwave, cook the turkey bacon for 1 minute on 100% power, and nuke it for 5 seconds.
- If the turkey bacon has not been cooked yet, you can microwave it for another 1 minute.
- After the turkey bacon is cooked, you can get rid of the paper towel.
Alternatively, you can also add some butter, salt, and pepper to add some flavor to the crispy turkey bacon.
Be careful when removing the paper towel from the turkey bacon. Due to the turkey fat, the paper towel would be wet and can be hot. So, let the plate sit at room temperature for a minute before touching the paper.
Sounds too easy, right? Well, it isn’t.
The secret to getting the perfectly cooked turkey bacon every time is to use a paper towel-lined plate. The paper towel will soak up the excess turkey fat. And you will get perfectly cooked bacon.
Secondly, never put two turkey bacon slices on top of each other. It can increase the cooking time.
Is it safe to microwave turkey bacon?
Yes, it’s safe to cook turkey bacon in the microwave. When done correctly, the entire process takes only a couple of minutes.
Sounds too good to be true, right? Because it is.
People make a few mistakes that can make microwaving turkey bacon unsafe.
For example, if your turkey bacon came in a plastic bag, take it out of it before microwaving. Studies have shown that some plastic can melt in, microwave, and stick to the bacon. And hence it will not be edible anymore.
Another mistake that many people make is using regular kitchenware. Using anything other than microwave-safe dishes in a microwave can be a disaster. So, be sure to use microwave-safe plates, bowls, etc.
How long does it take to cook turkey bacon in the microwave?
The time it takes to cook turkey bacon in the microwave depends on its wattage. But generally, it takes only 1 minute on a 100% power setting.
If your microwave has a lower wattage than average, cooking the bacon will take 2 minutes. Similarly, microwaves with high wattage will take less time to cook the same amount of turkey bacon.
Another factor that highly affects the cooking time is the placement of the turkey bacon. If you pile turkey bacon on top of each other, the bacon in the middle of the pile will not cook. Moreover, the bacon on the outer side of the pile might also burn.
Last but not least, the cooking time can also depend on your preference. Let me explain.
If you like chewy and soft turkey bacon, 3-4 strips will take only a minute to cook in the microwave. For people who like medium-cooked turkey bacon, 1 ½ minute is enough to microwave 3-4 strips. And lastly, if you want your turkey bacon strips well done, microwave them for 2 minutes.
How do you know when turkey bacon is done microwaving?
When the turkey bacon is done microwaving, the most obvious sign would be its color. Raw turkey bacon has a flesh-like pink color. On the other hand, fully cooked turkey bacon has a deeper red color.
But if you cannot tell the doneness of the turkey bacon, using a food-grade thermometer is a good plan. When the turkey’s internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F, it is cooked.
So, after taking out the turkey bacon from the microwave, use a thermometer to check its temperature. If its temperature is 170 degrees F or higher, the turkey has cooked.
Last but not least, you can taste the turkey bacon to check if it is done or not. Cooked turkey has a similar taste to cooked chicken, making it easier to detect. On the other hand, uncooked turkey bacon is harder to bite and chew.
However, do not take a big bite to check the doneness of the turkey bacon. Because the bacon is still raw, it can upset your stomach.
Tips to cook turkey bacon in the microwave
You must have realized that cooking turkey bacon in the microwave is not as easy as it sounds. Everyone’s preferences differ, but here are some general tips that you can use when microwaving turkey bacon.
Follow these tips to perfectly turkey cook bacon each time:
- Never thaw turkey bacon in the microwave. Instead, let it sit in the fridge or at the counter till it is room temperature. After that, you can start microwaving it.
- If your turkey bacon is in a ziplock bag or wrapped in plastic, take it off. Many plastics are not safe for the microwave and can latch on to your turkey bacon.
- Always use a microwave-safe plate or container for cooking the turkey bacon in the microwave.
- Line the container with a paper towel. The towel will soak up the excess fat and leave you with crispy bacon.
- Set the bacon aside for a few a minute after microwaving. The paper towel would be hot and can burn your fingertips.
- Usually, turkey bacon only takes 1-2 minutes to cook. However, if your turkey bacon still looks undone, you can let it cook for longer.
- The best indicator of cooked turkey bacon is its color. Uncooked bacon looks pinkish. Meanwhile, cooked turkey bacon is a deeper red color.
- Lastly, never eat 7 days old turkey bacon as it can upset your stomach.
Now you finally know how to cook turkey bacon in the microwave. This means you will be able to make a quick snack or your breakfast in just a few minutes.
Here are a few things to keep in mind. Always line the plate with a paper towel for microwaving turkey bacon. Trust me. It will save you from a mess.
Also, do not eat the turkey bacon if it looks pink. Because pink color means the turkey bacon has not been cooked yet.
Lastly, put salt and pepper or syrup on your turkey bacon to enjoy it more.